Hello Friday! And hello weekend, it’s time to meet Double Chocolate Cinnamon “Nice Cream”. Since we have some hot and sticky weather happenin’, why not cool down with a little treat? What is “nice cream” you ask? Think of your favorite ice cream, that you can make at home, in less than 5 minutes, that’s wayyyy healthier and tastes just as satisfying, if not better! I discovered it through instagram, of course, where I discover many trendy happenings, especially in the vegan world. I always thought making homemade ice cream took forever and you needed an ice cream maker or something. Nope, I was just outta the loop. Thanks instagram!
When I first tried making this a couple weeks ago, I fell in love! It tasted even better than dairy-free ice cream in the frozen section, which costs surprisingly more than normal ice cream. If you are like me, you want different kinds of ice cream depending on your mood. And since you are making this at home, you can customize it however you want in no time. Throw in some peanut butter or chocolate chips. Add in a superfood powder and extra fruit to make it breakfast-appropriate. Toss in a handful of spinach like I did, and don’t tell anyone 😉 Top it with pistachios or peanuts. Be creative! If you really want to indulge, whip up some coconut whip to make a sundae. It can be as simple or as elaborate as you want. Nice cream has only a handful of ingredients that you probably have at home. Make sure you have frozen bananas. I have learned that keeping frozen bananas (ripe ones with little brown dots) in the freezer at all times is a must!
I decided to make chocolate nice cream with an extra protein boost for a post-workout recovery treat. Sounds silly right? Eating ice cream after a workout?! It’s possible, and you can be guilt-free doing it. This recipe has zero added sugars. All ingredients are plant-based and come from real, whole foods. It has no dairy to upset your tummy, no weird chemicals or preservatives, and no artificial flavors. It’s just pure chocolatey cinnamon deliciousness. And making the hard chocolate shell could not be any easier!
I wanted to add a plant-based protein powder that Vega was kind enough to send me. Vega is top-notch when it comes to plant-based nutrition and protein powders. The product I have been loving is their Vega Sport Performance Protein in the Chocolate Flavor. It’s important to replenish your body with a multi-source protein, within 30-90 minutes of a workout. This helps to maintain and build muscle. Supplementing with Vega’s alkaline-forming complete protein allows your muscles to recharge quicker, so you can get your booty to the next scheduled workout! Vega is currently running a campaign called #FuelYourBetter. The idea is to share what foods/supplements make you better, so you can be your best self with regards to nutrition, exercise, motivation and so on. You can participate by hash tagging #FuelYourBetter on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc. For more info about Vega’s campaign, click here!
Can you tell I made quite the mess?!
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cacao powder
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 4 ripe, frozen bananas
- handful of spinach (optional)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1-2 scoops of your favorite protein powder (like Vega)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 dates, soft and pitted
- In a small bowl, add in cacao powder. Pour in melted coconut oil, and stir until combined. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add in frozen bananas and milk. Process until it becomes an ice cream consistency. You may need to add more milk, be patient with this and scrape down the sides if needed.
- Add in the protein powder, cacao powder and cinnamon, process until incorporated.
- Add in the dates and pulse a few times, I like to leave some chunks of dates!
- Transfer ice cream to a bowl. Add your favorite toppings. With a spoon, drizzle the chocolate sauce over top, it will harden immediately!
- Prior to making this, make sure your bananas have been in the freezer overnight or, for at least 4-5 hours. Makes 2 small servings
What are you using to #FuelYourBetter?