If mermaids exist, they probably live on spirulina from the sea, no?
Whether they love spirulina or not, my ‘ice cream for breakfast’ obsession continues… with this Mermaid Smoothie Bowl.
I have no intention of stopping the smoothie bowl craze, unless you guys are sick of it. Do let me know if you are, but I can’t help it… they’re too fun and too healthy not to make for breakfast. Sometimes oats make me sleepy in the morning and I’ve found that lots of fruits and greens work better for me first thing, at least in the summer months.
Smoothie bowls make it easy to pack in filling superfoods and essential beauty minerals too, helping to start the morning out on a glistening green and healthy note. This recipe is true brain food and can make all the difference in your energy/focus throughout the day. Plus, it has the consistency of ICE CREAM, without any added sugars or sweeteners.
Naturally sweet and ripe frozen bananas, 1/2 ripe avocado, vega protein & greens powder (in vanilla) and spirulina powder, plus a splash of almond milk make up the ingredients. Blend it up then spoon and crunch your way to breakfast heaven with fresh fruit, chia seeds, granola, toasted coconut flakes and whatever toppings your mermaid heart desires.
It’s simple but also highly customizable, depending on what you have on hand and the flavor/color you’re going for. This smoothie bowl does not taste “green” at all; it’s refreshingly sweet and oh so nourishing! Sometimes simple is best with smoothie bowls because then you can add a whole bunch of toppings without worrying how they will affect the taste.
The Mermaid Smoothie Bowl turned a beautiful light green/minty green color (I’m all about color for smoothie bowls!) from the spirulina I added. Spirulina is one of my favorite superfoods as it’s made up of 60-70% pure plant protein, complete with 18 amino acids – including all the essential amino acids. It’s easily absorbed and easily digested in the body too.
Other than immune support, healthy brain function, healthy heart function and weight management, spirulina provides:
- bio-available iron
- B vitamins
- essential fatty acids
It will keep you energized (hello vitamin B6) and curb unhealthy cravings by keeping you fuller for longer. People really swear by this superfood and while I haven’t made spirulina apart of my daily habit, I definitely notice a difference in my focus and energy when I include spirulina. Adding avocado makes me feel much more balanced throughout the morning and helps sustain my hunger until lunch. The Vega Protein & Greens powder adds a little extra somethin’, meaning more nutrients and protein.
The most balancing and beauty-enhancing Mermaid Smoothie Bowl!
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced and frozen
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 scoop vanilla plant based vegan protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon raw spirulina powder
- chia seeds
- toasted/shredded coconut flakes
- fresh fruit (berries, kiwi, mango, extra banana)
- Remove frozen bananas from freezer and let them sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes to defrost a bit. They should have been sliced and frozen in a bag/container for at least 4 hours prior.
- Add all ingredients (except the toppings) to a high speed blender and slowly pulse/blend until thick and creamy, like an ice cream consistency. It will take a few minutes; do not add more liquid unless you want it to be thinner and soupy.
- Transfer to a bowl, top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!