For our Christmas Eve family party this year, I offered to bring a vegan appetizer – one that everyone would want to eat and not just stare at.
Pinterest is my best friend when I need ideas and inspiration because for some reason, vegan appetizers always seem the hardest. You can do something super simple like a hummus and veggie tray (but I think everyone gets tired of that) or something more extravagant with fake vegan cheese that people might not like.
So after searching and pinning for a while, I came across a few variations of veggie rolls and decided to create zucchini veggie rolls smeared with avocado hummus and rolled up with fresh cucumber, crunchy carrots, sweet red bell peppers, beautiful radishes and cleansing cilantro.
These Veggie Rolls with Avocado Hummus are crunchy, healthy, fun and delicious! Something unique and different that I think most people would be willing to try – vegan or not.
There’s plenty of leftover avocado hummus for more dipping and snacking too, depending on how many rolls you want to make which, by the way, is amazingly creamy and flavorful – unlike any hummus I’ve ever tried.
It’s smooth and lusciously fluffy with a whipped type texture.
Avocado hummus is where it’s at.
Made with cannellini beans, arugula, ripe avocado, cilantro, fresh lemon juice, garlic and a small piece of (optional) jalapeño, you have a light avocado hummus spread that’s perfect as a snack with crackers or for dipping these veggie rolls in.
Preparing the rolls is fairly easy – the longest part is having to chop all the veggies but once that part is done, it goes pretty quick. I used toothpicks to keep the veggie rolls from falling apart but the avocado hummus actually does a great job at keeping them together so toothpicks are optional – especially if you lay them flat.
The rolls can be a bit messy to eat (and to make!) but they’re so worth it, I promise. I love how colorful they are orange, red, pink and green but you can use any veggie you like! The pieces of zucchini have to be really thin for them to roll properly. For this I used one of the slicing blades on my spiralizer. I think a julienne peeler would work too, or a knife if you are a super skilled ninja.
First, make the avocado hummus, then chop all the veggies.
Next, smear a spoonful of hummus on a VERY thin piece of zucchini. Lay assorted veggies close together at one end.
Lastly, gently roll it up and finish it off with a toothpick!
Sprinkle with sesame seeds for extra texture and crunch!
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1/2 cup arugula (or spinach)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 clove of garlic
- small piece of jalapeño (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 zucchini, sliced thin with spiralizer blade
- 2 large carrots, sliced into sticks
- 1/2 english cucumber, sliced into sticks
- 2-3 radishes, sliced thin and halved
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- sesame seeds (optional)
- In a food processor, blend the beans, avocado, lemon juice and olive oil until smooth. Add in arugula, cilantro, garlic, sea salt and pepper. Blend a few minutes until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a small bowl.
- On a flat, dry surface, lay a thin piece of zucchini.
- Smear with a spoonful of avocado hummus (not too much or it will overflow out the sides).
- Lay the assorted veggies and cilantro closely together on one end and begin rolling it up.
- Finish with a toothpick to hold it together.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the rolls (about 13-16 more).
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Happy holidays to you and your families! Hope you love these little veggie rolls as much as I do!