What did you have for breakfast?! Something yummy I hope!
Breakfast sets the tone for the day and dictates how the rest of your meals will go. When you opt for something nourishing in the morning, you’re more likely to choose healthier foods throughout the day (I know I do). This is mainly because you feel better and have the energy to do so. You’re thinking clearly! I know that some mornings are a crazy rush, but you can still whip up something quick (like my overnight oats shown below) and make your health a priority too.
So today, it’s all about the early eats with ‘What I Ate: 9 Plant Based Breakfast Ideas’. Yesss.
Lots of vegan breakfast yumminess!
You can be sure that king coffee is involved too, even if it’s not pictured… can’t live without it.
One of my favorite outlets to share breakfast-y items is good ole instagram… breakfast pics always go over well. Plus, a lot of the pictures I share on instagram don’t always make it here to the blog because I snap them on my phone with the intention for one square photo – not 5 or 6 lengthy recipe post photos. Phone pics don’t make for the best quality recipe post pics (although the iphone quality keeps surprising me… they really have come a long way!).
Since the morning hours are when I feel most creative, food styling turns into an art. It’s one of my favorite things to do (aside from writing) in the morning. I’ll admit that most times, I do it for the gram… who doesn’t?! Meaning I make a prettier breakfast than what my normal smoothie looks like (which is a super dark purple color), just to share it on instagram. I know, I know… don’t judge.
Alright, let’s get to it.
1. Cinnamon Maple Power Oatmeal:
A warm bowl of nourishing fuel for the long day ahead. Oats fill me up and keep me full until lunch.
They have lots of fiber and high quality whole food carbs to keep you feeling balanced.
To make: mix 3/4 cup of gluten free rolled oats with 1 cup water + 1/2 cup unsweetened vanillla almond milk. Microwave 2 minutes (or cook on the stove). Then stir in 1/2 tablespoon ground flaxseed, 1/2 teaspoon raw maca powder, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or 1/2 mashed banana for sweetness).?
Toppings:?1/2 banana, chopped, 1 handful blueberries, 1-2 tablespoons raw nuts. Enjoy!
2. Cotton Candy Swirl Smoothie Bowl: pink fruity goodness in a bowl with all the good toppings. Smoothie bowls are my fave – even in the winter months. They make me happy because you can decorate your favorite smoothie with any toppings you want. I swirled in some vanilla Kite Hill almond-milk yogurt for extra creaminess.
To make: blend 2 frozen bananas (read How to Freeze Bananas) plus 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup frozen raspberries, 1/4 cup of vanilla cashew milk + 1 scoop Vega Protein and Green Berry Powder (the best!) until smooth and creamy. Pour into a bowl and swirl in the yogurt.
Toppings: blueberries, this cranberry vanilla buckwheat hemp cereal, and unsweetened flaked coconut. YUM!
3. Banana Chocolate Protein Overnight Oats in a Jar: overnight oats are PERFECT for busy girls on the go. Make this before bed and wake up to a ready-made super yummy and filling breakfast with nourishing chia seeds, oats, chocolate plant based protein powder, cacao and banana. I’m a sucker for anything banana-chocolate. Get the recipe here.?
4. Pumpkin Pie Yogurt Bowl: pumpkin spice and everything nice. You guys, this creamy yogurt bowl is everything! A little dairy-free yogurt, a little pumpkin puree, pumpkin spices, maple syrup and your favorite granola… tastes more like dessert than breakfast. I’ll take it. Get the pumpkin pie yogurt recipe here.
5. The Beautifier Smoothie: for the ultimate busy girl who only has 5 minutes. Blend up this ready-to-blend superfood smoothie with any liquid base of your choice and get out the door. Aside from being organic and pre-portioned, these smoothies are life-changing! This flavor has sweet cherry, blueberry, banana, kale, raspberry and aca?. YUM!
6. Apple Pie Chia Seed Pudding: another recipe you can make the night before – and so so yummy too, like apple pie! Chia seeds are the ultimate superfood with enough antioxidants, omega’s, fiber and plant based protein for days. Plus, they soak up any flavor and keep you full literally forever. Get the recipe here! I love these chia seeds too.
7. Quick & Easy Avocado Toast: If you haven’t jumped on the avocado toast train yet – you need to STAT. This is the ultimate lazy girl breakfast (um me, basically everyday). Toast a couple pieces of ezekial bread and in the meantime, mash up 1/2 avocado. Smear it on the toast and call it a day! Or add on a couple toppings too like crunchy cucumber, red chili flakes or hemp seeds.
Avocado is the ultimate brain food and keeps you balanced and energized. Avocado toast also makes for the best snack. Get the recipe here.
8. Aca? Bowls: when you want to eat out for breakfast, but also want something healthy, pick up an aca? bowl from a local juice shop! These bowls are from my Florida trip a couple weeks back from Rock Steady Juice Joint in Jupiter FL, but most juice shops have them nowadays. Aca? is FULL of antioxidants. I swear there is aca? under all those good toppings. They usually blend it with banana and some other type of fruit (of your choice). So basically a fancy smoothie bowl. Make your own at home or try my Purple Power Smoothie Bowl and replace the berries with an aca? pack, which you can find in the frozen fruit section of most grocery stores!
9. Pineapple Yogurt Granola Parfait: so fancy, yet so easy. Layer your favorite yogurt (I like the Kite Hill almond milk yogurt or any coconut milk yogurt) with your favorite granola and fresh fruit. Top with chia and hemp seeds for a superfood boost!
BONUS: Don’t forget about my Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Bars! How good do they look tho?!
Hope you guys find these breakfast ideas to be helpful.
What are your favorite go-to healthy breakfast ideas?! Leave a comment below 🙂 I’m off to work on my 7-Day Plant Based Meal Plan eBook. Be on the lookout tomorrow for a fun reader survey that will help me in a major way!