Finally a new glow bowl recipe. Meet my ‘Baked Vegan Falafel Glow Bowl’!
I love a good falafel.
Not too much garlic, lots of detoxifying herbs, flavorful spices, shredded kale, a little fresh lemon juice and protein-packed chickpeas. I have no idea if these are considered “traditional” or not, so if you are expecting a traditional falafel recipe, then don’t judge. I make up recipes and go off of taste rather than whether or not they are deemed true or traditional. I added shredded kale ha, and way less garlic than normal (because garlic lingers no matter how many times I brush my teeth or scrape my tongue) and I don’t think that’s the norm for falafel recipes?!
Either way, these are flourless and made of veggies, greens, spices Soco tahini, and chickpeas. Sometimes simple is best! They don’t fall apart, they’re not too sticky and they turn golden brown in the oven. Too hot to turn on the oven? Then fry them up in a pan! They’re very forgiving and will taste amazing whether they are baked or fried.
What I love about these golden discs of deliciousness is that they’re different. They’re unique (to me) and they’re not plain chickpeas thrown in a bowl. They’re a little more gourmet than that (and a lot more delish!) but are still super easy and simple to make. But trust me, I love throwing plain chickpeas in a bowl amongst other things when I need something quick.
What else lives in this delectable Falafel Glow Bowl?
- lemon-y massaged kale
- the crunchiest cucumber
- addicting tahini sauce
- hemp hearts
- extra lemon (I’m really into lemon lately)
- extra parsley (very detoxifying)
- optional onion
If you’re in a lunch or dinner slump, this bowl is worth trying. You can meal prep a batch or two of falafel over the weekend and serve them for lunch or dinner throughout the week! Have you tried the vegan green falafel from the Whole Foods salad bar? I like them, but they have wheat and vegetable oils that I can live without, so these are the next best thing (and much healthier too!).
TGF TIP: To make your life WAY EASIER, you must get these salad choppers! They have been a game-changer for me and are my most coveted kitchen tool now! Because they chop up kale, veggies and herbs, you save so much time and energy. Plus, in my opinion, every salad is better when the ingredients are chopped up small so you get a taste of everything with each bite. I highly recommend, especially if you are like me and get lazy in the kitchen sometimes!! These will change your life 😉Print
Baked Vegan Falafel Glow Bowl. Vegan, Gluten Free. Super simple and flavorful!
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 cup kale, de-stemmed (or spinach; I’ve used both!)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons water (to desired consistency)
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
Extra Optional Ingredients
- chopped english cucumber
- red onion
- extra lemon juice
- extra parsley/cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use nonstick spray.
- Add all ingredients (except chickpeas) to a food processor and pulse until shredded and well combined. Then add in the chickpeas and pulse until chickpeas are smoothly blended in.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl. Take 1-2 tablespoons of mixture and form into small patties with your hands. Each time I’ve tested this, I get 7-8 falafel patties.
- Place patties on baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl with the optional “extra” ingredients, and drizzle with tahini sauce.
- I de-stemmed and shredded two large kale leaves, then massaged the kale with my hands using 1/2 lemon + 1 teaspoon maple syrup. It’s totally optional but the lemon softens and breaks down the fibrous kale leaves, making them much more appetizing, ha! You could also steam the kale which I often do too, for easier digestion.
Do let me know if you make this glow bowl! Can’t wait to see your creations on insta 😉 be sure to tag me!
PIN FOR LATER:
SHOP THIS POST: