Wow! I need to thank everyone for the positive support and feedback from my post last week. The comments, messages and phone calls meant SO much. I just love the close knit community we have created here and I’m so thankful for the positive vibes. The support only lets me know we are taking leaps in the right direction.
Nothing to report quite yet on our situation – we’re trying to find a balance with how to work together/be on the same page about everything while separating my time with blogging – I’m used to working from home most days by myself – so that has been interesting… to say the least ha. We had a laid back weekend and are more than ready to make this a productive week.
The past few days have been warmer (yay!) which kicks off my cravings for super fresh, lighter meals. I came up with this crunchy and refreshing Basil Cucumber Salad which really hit the spot – I knew it was one to share because it’s perfect for spring and summer and all things warm weather related! Not only is it cleansing and ultra healthy, it’s great for hydrating our bodies and keeping our skin youthful and glowing. With crunchy cucumber, chopped cauliflower, fresh basil and a creamy lemon dressing, this nourishing recipe is perfect for lunch, as a side or a light dinner.
<< Benefits of Cucumber >>
Cucumbers are my faaavorite. I add them to juices, smoothies and salads every chance I get. Since cucumbers are made up of 95% water, they are great for de-bloating and act as a natural, cleansing diuretic. This comes in handy after a night of one too many drinks or a day of overindulging in sweets or salty foods. Since they are used at the spa for under-eye puffiness, it makes sense that internally, they reduce swelling too. Cucumbers have silicon and sulphur which are so good for our skin and hair, keeping our skin youthful and glowy and our hair strong and shiny. They help to keep you hydrated and nourished (they’re full of vitamin K and B) on hot summer days too, cucumber detox water anyone?!
Be sure to purchase organic if possible. Organic english cucumbers are my go-to for salads (they’re crunchier) and are used in this yummy Basil Cucumber Salad recipe.
I love adding cauliflower to salads for extra substance since they are hearty and hold up well. My favorite way to add cauliflower is to chop it up in the food processor until crumbly, rather than add whole cauliflower florets. It’s much easier to eat it raw that way. I also did this in my Chopped Detox Salad recipe. Marty asked if it the salad had feta cheese 😉 nope! Looks like it though. The fresh basil adds so much freshness and flavor. If you aren’t a fan of raw onion, you can try adding radish instead for a little zing. For extra plant protein, you can add chickpeas, raw hemp hearts, avocado or sunflower seeds.
- 1 english cucumber, quartered
- 1/3 head of cauliflower (about 2 cups, chopped)
- 1/2 of a red onion, diced small
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
Creamy Lemon Dressing
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons plain hummus
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- sea salt, to taste
- extra chopped basil (optional)
- In a food processor, add 1/3 of a head of cauliflower and process until crumbly and chopped small (makes about 2 cups). Transfer to a large bowl. Add the cucumber, red onion and basil. Mix until combined.
- Prepare the dressing in a small mixing bowl. Whisk all ingredients and pour over salad. Toss until combined and serve.
- Store in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 2 days but is best eaten the same day as it can get watery.
- Optional add-ins: chickpeas, hemp hearts, avocado, or sunflower seeds for extra plant protein
- Serving Size: 2