It’s December. Let’s celebrate!
Why not start with a festive dessert?
Pretty sure I always start out any new season with a festive dessert.
I can’t help it. I’m really good at craving it.
I’m a fiend for anything sweet, but not the artificial kind of sweet. My one exception is candy canes – they are not plant-based but they are vegan (I double checked!) so I’m allowing it. Balance. Crushed candy canes add that sweet minty crunch to this freezer fudge, making it the most amazing and festive holiday treat! I found vegan marshmallows at Whole Foods (yes!) so I added a few chopped marshmallows for more texture – so YUM. Who knew vegan + gluten free marshmallows existed?!
I love this Candy Cane and Marshmallow Peppermint Fudge because it’s a change from my usual chocolate fudge that I can’t seem to part with; plus it’s very holiday-ish. Think creamy, buttery (but no butter in the recipe), sweet, minty and light. How do you get that minty green color? From whole foods – oh yesss. I used E3Live and spinach; total added bonus with the greens. You will not taste the green components. PROMISE. You could use spirulina powder and spinach or any green powder really. Just add it in small amounts (teaspoons) until you achieve your desired minty green color along with spinach to make it more vibrant..
Step one: Crush candy canes. I added 7 candy canes to a ziplock bag and pounded them with a large kitchen spoon. Anything works, really. Haha. Line a 8×8 square pan with parchment paper and spray coconut oil (or your spray oil of choice). Add in half of the crushed candy canes and save the rest for the topping.
Step two: Blend all ingredients for the fudge until smooth and creamy. Pour mixture into the square pan. Top with the remaining crushed candy canes and chopped marshmallows (optional).
Step three: Place in freezer for about 4 hours or until firm. Cut into squares and go for it.
It’s super easy to make with simple clean-up and keeps well in the freezer. What’s not to love?
- 7 candy canes, crushed (and divided in half)
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut/almond milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 tablespoon of spirulina or any green powder (add more until you reach desired color)
- 2–3 handfuls of spinach (for color, add more as needed)
- 5 vegan marshmallows, optional (like the Dandies brand from Whole Foods)
- To crush candy canes, add them to a ziplock bag and smash with any kitchen utensil until they crumble into pieces.
- Line a square 8×8 pan with parchment paper and spray with coconut/your choice of oil so the fudge doesn’t stick to the paper. Spread out half of the candy canes in the pan. Set aside.
- In a high-speed blender, combine the cashews, milk, water, maple syrup, peppermint extract, green powder and spinach. Blend until smooth and add extra green powder and spinach as needed until you reach your desired color.
- Pour the mixture over the candy canes in the square pan. Top with the remaining half of the crushed candy canes and the chopped marshmallows. Cover with saran wrap and place in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- Remove the fudge from freezer and cut into squares. Leftovers keep well in the freezer.
Happy holidays 🙂