A wholesome, vibrant, very non-traditional bolognese sauce recipe turned into a vegan’s dream come true!
I can’t say that bolognese sauce was a common occurrence in my previous non-vegan life. So I really don’t know what I’m talking about in relation to bolognese sauce, but the thought of it sounded so comforting, I couldn’t pass up an opportunity to get creative and whip up a new Fall-inspired recipe.
Meet Cauliflower Bolognese Zucchini Noodle Bowls… mmhmm!
This recipe packs in the veggies with cauliflower rice, carrot, celery, zucchini and shallot. Add the fresh and dried herbs and I mean… wow. Then after simmering in a spicy arrabbiata sauce (or your favorite pasta sauce), the flavors really come alive and your house will smell heavenly, like you’ve been cooking all day. Think of it as a healthy, veggie-packed, waistline-friendly bowl to mix up your usual pasta and sneak in some extra vegetables at dinner. It’s a win-win for everyone and can be ready in 30 minutes! While your sauce is simmering, spiralize your zucchini using a spiralizer! I use it all the time for zucchini noodles, carrot noodles, cucumber noodles, sweet potato noodles and so much more. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast for a cheesy taste (and for a great source of b vitamins).
Are you running to your kitchen yet?!
For my health warriors, take it a step further and mix in spinach or kale! Also, you can switch up the veggies to use what’s in your fridge. Bell peppers, mushrooms, extra tomatoes, most veggies will work here. Feel free to add crumbled tempeh, tofu or any kind of bean (like chickpeas or cannellini beans for extra protein.
Don’t be scared to try this vegan bolognese sauce, it couldn’t be easier or more delicious!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or grapeseed oil)
- 1 shallot, chopped small
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 clove minced garlic (or more, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried parsley is fine too)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups of your favorite pasta sauce (I used arrabbiata sauce)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional; for a cheesy taste)
- 2 medium-sized zucchini's, spiralized using a spiralizer
- In a large skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium heat. Add the shallot, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, stirring until the shallot is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, celery, zucchini, cauliflower rice and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley, thyme, oregano and basil and cook another 5 minutes.
- Then stir in the pasta sauce, red wine vinegar and nutritional yeast and reduce heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Turn off heat and serve immediately over the zucchini noodles!
- Top with extra nutritional yeast if desired.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated for 3-4 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
- You can swap the zucchini noodles for spaghetti squash or your favorite pasta noodle.
shop the post:
pin for later: