Happy December! And Happy Cyber Monday!
How was your weekend? Hope you had a yummy Thanksgiving and maybe a successful Black Friday?!
I’m happy to say my first Thanksgiving as a vegan was a major success. My fam was so accommodating and made it super easy for me. I feasted on some plant-based stuffing, cranberry & jalapeño salsa (so YUM), sweet potato and pear casserole, mashed potatoes with vegan butter and a leafy green salad with all the fixings. I didn’t feel stuffed like I have usually felt in the past after a Thanksgiving feast… It was a perfect getaway for the day up in Wisconsin with the fam!
I didn’t do any Black Friday shopping this year, but I did stay in pajamas all day and was able to watch Serendipity, my favorite movie of ALL time, besides Endless Love that is. We drove to the city Saturday night to see the beautiful tree at the Daley Plaza and walk around a bit because it was 52 degrees out!! Crazy!! Then on Sunday we put up Christmas lights outside and I even convinced Marty to help me decorate our tree. I couldn’t wait any longer – I love this time of year (minus the feeling frozen part) Did you start decorating yet?!
On to the recipe for today because that is what you are here for 🙂
A healthy Cauliflower Fried Rice Bowl. It IS possible. And so damn good. Rice is not missed in this healthy dish. Replacing rice with cauliflower may be my favorite swap yet, and no one will even notice a difference. No really. This is one of those recipes where you can trick your loved ones into eating more vegetables and they won’t have a clue, but they will be filled up on veggies and high-quality plant protein from the edamame. I buy the shelled frozen edamame from Trader Joe’s and it’s life-changing!! In order to get the cauliflower into a rice-like consistency, all you have to do is chop it up in the food processor in a couple batches and fry it up with a little coconut oil, tamari (or soy sauce), garlic and fresh lime juice. Then you fry up the veggies in the same pan (I used a wok) and that’s it. This bowl of yumminess is quick, nourishing, flavorful and a definite crowd-pleaser. What’s not to love?
This is what the Cauliflower Rice looks like!
- 1 head cauliflower, florets
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or sesame oil)
- 2 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce)
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 of a red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1.5 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup edamame, thawed
- 2 green onions for garnish
- In a food processor, chop up the cauliflower florets until they are a rice-like consistency. Yields about 4 cups.
- In a large saucepan or work, heat up the oil on medium-high heat. Once hot, add in the cauliflower and mix. Fry for about 4-5 minutes, then add in the tamari, lime juice, garlic, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 more minutes. Transfer the cauliflower to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan/wok, sauté the onion in 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil for about 2 minutes on medium heat and add in the bell pepper, mushrooms and edamame. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower back into the pan/wok with the vegetables and mix. Add extra tamari sauce if needed.
- Serve with green onions and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 3
I may do some Cyber Monday shopping today since I missed out on Friday. You should definitely make this healthy “fried” rice tonight for dinner! YUM!!
What kind of posts would you like to see for this month of December?! More interviews? Anything about nutrition? I would LOVE to hear your thoughts. Leave me a comment!