- 3 cups short grain brown rice, cooked
- 3 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- 1/2 cup crushed crackers or bread crumbs, use gluten free if needed!
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1.5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 1 15 oz. can white cannelinni beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk (or any plain plant milk)
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons miso sauce (see notes for swaps)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×10 baking dish (or something similar in size) with non-stick spray. Add in cooked brown rice and set aside.
- Steam broccoli over the stove in a pot with 1/2 cup water, for 5 minutes, covered and turn off heat (or steam in a microwave-safe bowl). Drain and add broccoli over the brown rice. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized pot, bring 1.5 cups vegetable broth +1/2 cup water to a boil. Add in baby carrots and cook on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Add in chopped shallot and white beans, then reduce heat to simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until carrots and beans are soft. Turn off heat. Into the pot, add in all ingredients for Vegan Cheese Sauce. Using a hand immersion blender (see notes for other options) blend until sauce is smooth and creamy. Taste test and adjust/add salt if needed. If the taste is too “lemony” add 1 teaspoon maple syrup to balance out the acidity, but only if needed!
- Pour cheese sauce over the brown rice and broccoli, then give it a good mix until sauce is evenly dispersed throughout. Top with a layer or crushed crackers or bread crumbs!
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until edges are slightly golden.
- Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 4 days, or in the freezer up to 1 month. Reheat in the oven at 350 degrees F until warmed through.
- Cook your brown rice in low-sodium vegetable broth, instead of water, for extra flavor!
- To save time: use pre-cooked brown rice and pre-cut (or frozen) broccoli.
- The canned beans are cooked, but we are simmering them to make them even softer and more digestible.
- If you don’t have miso: add 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce + 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar instead, which will add a similar flavor.
- If you don’t have a hand immersion blender, you could also blend the cheese sauce in a food processor or high-speed blender until smooth and creamy.
- Leftovers refrigerate well. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 4 days, or in the freezer up to 1 month. Reheat in the oven at 350 degrees F until warmed through.
- Serving Size: 4