Hi guys, what a busy weekend! I hope you had a wonderful weekend and Mother’s Day. Marty and I went non-stop on Saturday, we had a bunch of things to get done that we kept putting off. You know, those errands that are necessary but can be put off for a while… I know I am not alone in this feeling! Our new favorite thing that we make a priority is to take our pups to the forest preserve and let them run around! We have a small backyard so they absolutely love being able to run free in the huge field, chase each other and smell all the doggy smells. Chuy and Taz are becoming best little buds and it melts my heart ♥ Marty and I also took a fun little spin in our neighbors new car! Saturday was the PERFECT day for a joy ride in a convertible. (I had a major Cali-Girl-Wanna-Be moment!)
My brother graduated from college on Saturday so my parents were away all weekend helping him pack up and celebrating his big day. I wasn’t able to see my mom but I will see her this week to make up for it. Last week, I dropped off my Key Lime Coconut Raw Vegan Cheesecake Cups to her as an early Mother’s Day gift along with some other goodies. Have you tried making them yet?! I would love to see your pictures if you make them! I went to my grandma’s house on Sunday for a late lunch and she even made a vegan dish for everyone! While my family has been very understanding of my new lifestyle, its difficult for some to wrap their mind around the fact that I get protein from sources other than meat, and I am healthier than ever before, but that’s alright. I understand it’s not the norm and I would never force this lifestyle upon anyone, but I sure can show them through this blog 😉 My family finally got to meet Taz too! He had plenty of kisses for my baby cousin McKenna. Honestly there is nothing cuter than a baby and a puppy together!!!!
The Chickpea & Lentil Veggie Burger recipe I am sharing today took me a few times to get just right! Not every recipe is perfect the first time but I am so happy to finally share it because you will LOVE these burgers! I found that the oat flour is the most necessary ingredient to hold this burger together. Don’t try using a flax “egg” like I did! It will fall apart. Marty ate the burger on the left and I ate the burger on the right! He certainly enjoyed it because he went back for seconds, so this is boyfriend approved ? I added my Perfectly Simple Guacamole on top of my burger, which is now my new fave combo! This was my first time ever eating lentils (I don’t know why, its a great source of vegan protein!) so I bought them pre-cooked from Trader Joe’s, but you can certainly cook them yourself. I normally don’t buy pre-cooked anything but there were no added ingredients so I gave in this time 🙂 I have to try cooking them myself now because they are delicious! This recipe makes 6 burgers, I love to have leftovers! You can freeze them as well if you want.
I have a special surprise today too!! I teamed up with my new blogger friend Kristi from www.discoverglowlife.com and shared one of my favorite vegan recipes on her website! My Mediterranean Veggie Quinoa Dish. She has inspired me so much and I am beyond honored to be guest posting on her blog! Check it out for yourself to see some of my tips for Transitioning to a Vegan Lifestyle and for the yummy recipe along with her delicious recipes as well. She also has a Vegan Challenge if you’re up to it! Check out her instagram too!Print
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1 15oz. can chickpeas
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 large carrot stick, chopped into large chunks
- 1/2 of a zucchini, chopped in large chunks (if small, use whole zucchini)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped in large chunks
- 1/2 of a jalapeño (optional)
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1.5 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1.5 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- If you have to make your own oat flour, add oats to food processor and mix until it becomes a flour-like consistency. Transfer to large mixing bowl. If you have oat flour on hand, add to large mixing bowl.
- In food processor, combine chickpeas and lentils. Don’t over process, it’s good if it still has some chunks. Transfer mixture to the large bowl with the oat flour.
- In food processor, combine carrot, zucchini, onion and jalapeño until chopped small. Again, don’t over process or it will become soupy! Add mixture to the large bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together with spoon or by hand.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine garlic, ketchup, dijon mustard, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Mix well and pour over the mixture in the large bowl.
- Mix until all ingredients are well combined with spoon or by hand!
- Heat grill pan over medium-high heat with olive oil.
- Form mixture into about 6 burgers and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until slightly browned/crispy.
- Serve on a burger bun or on a large piece of lettuce with your favorite toppings!
- My food processor was too small to handle all ingredients at once, if you have a larger food processor, you do not have to mix this recipe by hand!
- Serving Size: 6