Tastes like summer!
It’s been a while since I last shared a recipe… and up until today, I’ve been feeling super anxious about it. Book writing has been keeping me busy, but I have a little extra time after turning in the first few chapters last week, so to make up for my absence of recipes, I’ve created this new Chickpea Pineapple Summer Salad that you’ll want to make all summer long!
Fruity, crunchy, juicy and sweet, with shredded coconut and a light vinaigrette to round out the flavors. My intent was to serve it over greens, to keep it lean, clean and green of course! But, you could eat it with crackers, or have it plain too.
Also, avocado never hurts and I find it adds that luscious creaminess that makes everything that much better.
Keeping it simple, all you need to do is drain and rinse the chickpeas, chop the pineapple, bell pepper, chives and cilantro, and stir in the shredded coconut and sunflower seeds. Then whisk together the light dressing and it’s ready. If you’re a quick chopper, this could take you 10-15 minutes. My favorite part is that this Chickpea Pineapple Salad travels well to work, to the beach, to a party, to a picnic, wherever! Just make sure to keep the greens separate until serving, to avoid soggy greens. Better yet, prep this salad the night before and let the flavors marinate; its the type of salad that tastes better the next day.
Mmhmm, you are going to love this one!!
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups pineapple, chopped (about 1/2 pineapple)
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped (I used orange, but any color works)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped, optional (or red onion works too)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 avocado per serving, optional (but highly recommended!)
- *Serve over a bowl of greens, I used spinach
- 3 tablespoons filtered water
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar (or fresh lemon/lime juice)
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, and transfer to a large salad bowl.
- Chop the pineapple, bell pepper, cilantro and chives, and add to bowl. Mix in the coconut and sunflower seeds.
- Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing, then pour into the bowl and mix well.
- Serve over greens, and add the avocado.