Since I share basically all of my meals on instagram, sometimes it seems silly to share even the simplest of meals here on the blog, but with all the nice cream I’ve been loving, I figured I should share a new and improved nice cream recipe. It is summertime after all and my older nice cream recipes could use an update as I’ve learned a few tips and tricks since last year 🙂 so today we have my go-to Chocolate Chip Nice Cream, of course it has to be chocolate because #chocolateaddict
You may be wondering, what is “nice cream” ??!
Basically, it’s heaven on earth… it’s also the healthiest and quickest way to make homemade soft-serve ice cream without an ice cream maker.
It has a few different names:
- nana ice cream
- nice cream
- banana ice cream
- banana soft serve
Made out of frozen bananas, a little non-dairy milk and whatever else you please like fruit (berries/mango), medjool dates, my fave raw cacao powder, vanilla extract, chocolate stevia drops or maple syrup, raw maca powder etc.) I usually add cacao powder and maple syrup for a dessert type nice cream but for breakfast, I love to add mango and coconut milk, even spinach! Nice cream makes for the perfect summertime breakfast or post-workout treat.
Check out my post on How To Freeze Bananas for smoothies and nice cream that will make your life easier. At first, I had no idea how other bloggers got their nice cream so fluffy and thick but there are a few tricks to help.
How do you make it?!?
You can pulse the ingredients in a food processor or pulse it (very slowly) in a high-speed blender until it becomes creamy, either way works fine. It’s easy but takes patience and lots of scraping down the sides before it gets creamy but eventually, the magic will happen! Letting the frozen, sliced bananas sit out on the counter for 15 minutes beforehand makes the process way easier, you don’t want to break your appliances.
NICE CREAM TIP: Do not add more liquid or else it will become too thin like a smoothie. Just keep scraping down the sides and slowly pulsing it. I like to blend the bananas and non-dairy milk and any other fruit first until it gets creamy, before blending in any powders or superfoods.
You can’t forget about toppings! They make it more ice cream sundae-like.
My favorite toppings:
- fresh fruit
- vegan chocolate chips
- raw cacao nibs
- coconut chips
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- chia seeds
- goji berries
- even vegan macaroons like these coconut vanilla ones
Now you have your next frozen summer breakfast and dessert, yes please.
Chocolate Chip Nice Cream
- Prep Time: 15
- Total Time: 20
- 3 ripe, frozen, sliced bananas
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond/coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or 2 soft and gooey medjool dates, pitted)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips
- your favorite toppings: I used banana slices, extra chocolate chips, granola and chia seeds
- Let the frozen bananas sit out on the counter for 15 minutes to make blending easier.
- Add the banana and non-dairy milk to a blender or food processor and pulse, then scrape down the sides. Keep doing this until the mixture becomes creamy and ice-cream like. It takes a little patience! (Do not add extra liquid or it will become too thin like a smoothie). Then add the rest of the ingredients (except the toppings) and pulse/blend until well combined.
- Transfer the nice cream to a bowl, add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1
Can’t wait to see your creations! What is your favorite type of nice cream to make?! Share in the comments below 🙂 hope you have a happy Monday!
OMG. Just made this as my post barre class breakfast and it was absolutely AMAZING. Literally tasted like I was eating chocolate ice cream for breakfast! Will definitely be making again.
This looks soooo good! It’s a really hot day where I live and I’m totally going to whip some of this up:)
Hey Elizabeth 🙂 this is more than perfect on a hot day! Enjoy.