A warming and cleansing detox soup, meant to make you feel good from the inside out!
- 1/4 cup water (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 of a red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small head of broccoli, florets
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (I used powdered)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
- fine-grain sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups water (or 4 cups vegetable broth + 2 cups water)
- 2 cups kale, de-stemmed and torn in pieces
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- juice from 1/2 of a small lemon (or a whole lemon, depending how much lemon flavor you prefer)
- In a large pot, add the water and turn on the heat to medium-high. After it’s hot, add the onion and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the celery, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes and fresh ginger. Stir and cook for 3 minutes, adding in extra water or broth as needed (another 1/4 cup). Stir in the turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the water or vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add in the kale, cabbage and lemon juice near the last 2-3 minutes of simmering.
- This cleansing recipe is oil-free because avoiding the use of oil during a cleansing meal is important for the detoxification process (and you won’t miss the oil at all due to all the flavor!) but if you feel like cooking with oil, use a minimal amount – 1 tablespoon or less.
- Leftovers stay well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: detox, soup, cleansing, healthy, no oil, oil free, vegan, gluten free, broccoli, slimming, spicy