Sitting in the back of my mind since the beginning of summer has been this very scrumptious Crispy Buffalo Tofu and Kale Salad with Vegan Ranch.
Here we are four months later, I can finally put those nagging thoughts of when the heck will I have time to make that glorious salad, to rest! There’s something so indulgent about combining hot buffalo sauce with cool ranch that makes those tastebuds light up and you wonder, how is this even healthy? Is my mind playing tricks on me?!
You’ll be delighted to know it IS in fact healthy and doesn’t disappoint. Also, crispy baked tofu smothered in buffalo sauce… need I say more? Spicy food is never lacking in this house!
I decided to provide you the option of using Frank’s buffalo sauce OR making your own super easy (like easier than you think) buffalo sauce. This way everyone is happy because I know there would be questions like “what if I don’t have buffalo sauce”. I love this recipe using either sauce, so it’s really a matter of what you have or what you would prefer to use. The homemade buffalo sauce (pictured below) consists of tabasco, white vinegar, paprika, garlic powder and optional vegan butter (to make it more thick), which I highly recommend.
Is your mouth watering yet?
First, you’ll coat the cubed tofu in cornstarch or tapioca flour, then whichever buffalo sauce you choose, and bake until crispy. Now the next best part… the homemade vegan ranch that I can’t believe I haven’t shared until now. It’s the dreamiest, creamiest cool ranch flavor that you’ll want to use on all your glow bowls and salads. It’s SO MUCH BETTER than any vegan store bought ranch. Those taste super fake and artificial to me, so please give the homemade ranch a try! It can easily be made in a food processor or small blender (like a Nutribullet) but I wouldn’t use a large blender as there’s not enough volume to blend it up.. we aren’t making 5 cups of ranch, you know?
Okay so after making the ranch, you’ll chop up the celery and cucumber, wash and tear apart the kale and you are done!
I like to add the kale and veggies to my bowl and coat it in ranch. Then add the buffalo tofu and drizzle a little more ranch on that… and DIG IN.
Mmmhmm!! Here’s the luscious recipe!
ALSO: it’s great for the follicular or menstrual phase, if you are following along with eating for your cycle 🙂
- 2 containers of extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour/cornstarch/arrowroot powder
- 4-5 cups of de-stemmed kale, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- 3 pieces of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (I used tabasco)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter (optional)
- 1/3 cup hemp hearts
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 2 chopped green onions (or fresh chives)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- Start with the tofu. First we need to prep it and remove the excess water. Drain the packages then cut the tofu blocks into 4 lengthwise slices. Lay flat over 2 paper towels (or one clean kitchen towel) on top of a baking sheet. Lay 2 more paper towels over the tofu. Place another baking sheet (or heavy flat-bottomed object) on top, plus a fairly heavy book on top of that (because you don't want the book to get wet!) and set aside for 30-40 minutes. Could also use a tofu press if you have one.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- After, cut the tofu into bite-size cubes and transfer to a large bowl. Coat the tofu in the tapioca flour. Set aside.
- Start by making the buffalo sauce (unless you are using store-bought. Mix all ingredients for buffalo sauce in a small bowl or jar. Pour the buffalo sauce over the tofu and mix until all pieces are covered. Transfer to the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until crispy.
- While that is baking, prepare your kale and chop the celery and cucumber.
- Lastly, prepare the vegan ranch. In a food processor or Nutribullet, add all the ingredients for the ranch and blend until creamy and smooth. Taste test and add 1-2 more tablespoons of water if it seems too thick.
- When the tofu is ready, prepare your bowls with the kale, veggies, tofu and ranch!
- *Can also use Frank's buffalo sauce (use 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons).
PIN FOR LATER: