Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a nice Father’s Day Weekend 🙂 I sure did! We celebrated Father’s Day with a dinner Friday night and then went up to the lake house Saturday for the day. I finally saw the sun! Haha, I have been craving some sun for a while now. The lake house is always so peaceful and relaxing, and the dogs are in their element, playing in the water and running WILD in the yard, loving life. Then Sunday was a productive bloggy work day. I mentioned in my post on Friday that I am starting the process of creating a recipe e-book! Yay!! I could not be more excited, so stay tuned for that!
Here are a couple pictures from our family dinner on Friday night.
Also on Friday, I received a special delivery, the Oh She Glows cookbook! My very first vegan cookbook! I have been following Angela over at ohsheglows.com for quite some time now, a couple years I think! She is my idol when it comes to vegan bloggers for sure. I love her friendly, personal writing style. And let me tell you, her cookbook is uh-mazing! Her recipes are so thorough, she thought of everything! Angela inspires me to be more creative in the kitchen. I can’t wait to try her creations this week, I’m thinking I need to start with a dessert, right?! Like her “Beat the Heat Frozen Dessert Pizza” Yum! 🙂 For this beautiful Monday, I am sharing a delightfully crunchy, slightly sweet, broccoli salad with purple cabbage, red onion, raisins, and sunflower seeds, topped with a orange balsamic dressing. It makes a bunch of servings, around 10 cups, which I love, because then I have quick lunches/dinners ready to go for the week. This broccoli salad would be perfect for entertaining too! You can always adjust the servings to your needs. Let’s get to it!
Vegan & Soy-Free
- Salad: 5 cups broccoli florets, raw
- 3 cups purple cabbage, chopped small
- 1-2 cups red onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 of a red onion)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Dressing: 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- freshly squeezed juice from 1/2 of an orange
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pink himalayan sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients: broccoli, cabbage, red onion, sunflower seeds and raisins.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients: balsamic vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, orange juice, dijon mustard, sea salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix with a spoon. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes and serve.
- If making ahead of time, keep dressing separate and use when needed so the vegetables/seeds don’t become soggy!
- Makes about 10 cups.