In my latest youtube video about pregnancy prep, I chat about daily detox tips that are non-negotiable’s for me.
I take detoxing very seriously after all that I?ve gone through with my gut/hormone health. Yes our bodies detox on their own BUT the amount of chemicals and toxins we are exposed to in a 30-day period is more than our grandparents were in their lifetime. Yikes! The tips I’m sharing today are all natural and things you can do daily (some are weekly).
Our bodies need EXTRA elimination support from our toxic world (air, water, foods we eat, cleaning & beauty products, clothing, furniture construction, lawn care, etc.)
Let’s talk about elimination (pooping) before we get to my daily detox tips, because this is the most important part of detoxification.
Yep, we are going there. Everyone poops okay! And if you aren?t, then you probably feel like poo. Elimination is KEY for happy hormones because it is the only way to get used up estrogen and toxins out. And you need to be going everyday, at least once, but 2-3x is ideal. If not, this can lead to estrogen dominance, acne, fatigue and uncomfortable bloating. In high school, I was only going once or twice a week? this majorly contributed to my acne (along with all the sugar and processed foods I was eating… my diet was lacking fiber in a major way). If you aren?t going everyday, the used up estrogen and toxins (which have now turned into free radicals) get recirculated in the bloodstream which is bad news for your body. When you work on gut health, hormone health will follow.
- Eat more fiber (at least 25 grams but lots more is ideal. Fiber-rich foods include leafy greens, non-starchy veggies like broccoli, chia seeds, apples, beans, tempeh, sweet potatoes, berries, avocado, nuts & seeds (I have a section dedicated to this on page 71 in The Happy Hormone Guide!)
- Nourish and treat your microbiome health by eliminating inflammatory, processed foods or foods you are sensitive to (gluten, wheat, dairy)
- Buy organic produce as often as you can
- Eat raw sauerkraut and kimchi. Include probiotic-rich foods and a high-quality probiotic supplements and add a digestive enzyme before meals
- Get a colonic to help get things going or do at home coffee enema?s
- Drink CALM magnesium tea before bed (it helps relax you and helps to keep things regular)
- Drink a green drink in the morning before consuming any other food
Food is the foundation. A happy gut equals happy hormones! Okay, moving on!
DAILY DETOX TIPS:
- Clean, filtered water – We use a Berkey water filter in our home and it?s one of the best investments I?ve ever made as tap water can contain bacteria, viruses, parasites, heavy metals and pharmacology
- Sweat – whether from exercise or the sauna, your body needs to sweat! It acts as an elimination pathway for toxins to GET OUT while also giving you endorphins 🙂
- Whole food plant based diet – to keep things moving and support your bodily systems with a variety of REAL micronutrients so it can do it?s thing. leafy greens, veggies, healthy fats, lots of fruit and citrus, gluten free grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. also probiotic-rich foods like raw sauerkraut and kimchi to support the good bacteria. I have hundreds of recipes here on the blog!
- Love your liver – with beets, kale, dandelion tea, milk thistle, vitamin c (I use sodium ascorbate powder from Nutribiotic) because it acts as a binder and your immune system loves it. I also add lemon/lime essential oil to my morning water. Also rarely drink booze anymore (a couple times a month!)
- Quality Sleep – your body does some major detoxing while you are catching some ZZZ?s! I have cut down my caffeine to basically nothing now and my sleep has never been better
- Epsom salt baths – relaxing, helps to flush out toxins and you absorb magnesium! (I buy this big bag)
- Dry Brushing – it?s so important to move your lymphatic system as it?s job is to mop up toxins. the only way to get it moving is through exercise or dry brushing. also rebounding!
- Consider a parasite cleanse to improve gut and skin health (I?ve written blog posts on this)