- 3 cups roasted (or raw) hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2–3 tablespoons cacao powder* (for extra chocolate-y flavor)
- 2–3 tablespoons coconut sugar** (for extra sweetness)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and add line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add hazelnuts to baking sheet and spread out evenly. If already roasted, roast again for 10 minutes to warm the natural oils. This will make it easier to blend into butter. If raw, roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove tray from oven and carefully transfer hazelnuts to the center of an old kitchen towel. Fold edges over to cover and using your hands. roll the nuts around to loosen/remove remaining skins. They won’t be perfect, but try to remove as much as possible!
- Add hazelnuts to a food processor (or high speed blender). Blend on low until crumbly and grainy. Scrape down the sides and keep blending until a creamy nut butter is formed. Takes about 10-15 minutes total. Be patient!
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips in microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring in between. Don’t burn it! Set aside.
- When the hazelnuts turn into creamy hazelnut butter, pour in the melted chocolate, vanilla and sea salt. Blend until well combined. Do a taste test and adjust sweetness/chocolate flavor as needed, by adding either coconut sugar or cacao powder, if desired.
- Pour into a clean mason jar and enjoy!
- Store at room temperature, up to 3 weeks.
- * The more cacao you add in, the more bitter it will taste.
- ** Can also add in liquid sweetener instead of coconut sugar, but the nutella will become thicker.