All things lean, clean and green are on my mind.
I’ve been loving this Energizing Green Smoothie Bowl for lean, clean and green energy! Plus it’s like eating ice cream for breakfast… thick, creamy, naturally sweet, refreshing, tropical, super nourishing and gets you excited for spring and summer.
You can never have too many green smoothie recipes. Some are super duper green, some are bright green, some are tropical… it’s fun to mix it up! I’ve probably blended up hundreds of different green combinations by now, but I always come back to one in particular:
- two huge handfuls of spinach (sometimes kale)
- frozen bananas
- unsweetened almond milk
- some other type of fruit (berries/mango/pineapple)
- ground flaxseed and/or maca powder
- matcha powder
It always works. It always makes me feel good and energized. It always tastes amazing.
I love adding all kinds of super foods to any meal that I can – but matcha powder is a green tea super food that naturally fuels the body with an extra boost of pure energy. It’s total brain food too. Matcha powder is:
- packed with antioxidants, vitamins + phytonutrients
- can be equal to 10 glasses of green tea (hello natural energy!)
- helps with focus and concentration
You can find my favorite brand of matcha here.
I add ground flaxseed (must be ground for superior nutrition absorption) for:
- omega 3 fatty acids
- soluble fiber
- lignans (plant antioxidants)
I add maca powder for:
- hormone balance
- B-vitamins for energy
- essential minerals
- plant sterols and adaptogens
Topping this green bowl of goodness with crunchy coconut flakes, juicy pineapple and nourishing chia seeds sounded appetizing to me, but the possibilities are endless. You could top it with frozen berries, gogi berries, the most amazing rawnola, a scoop of almond butter, anything you want! Or you can skip the toppings and drink it just the way it is. You may want to add more almond milk if you want to sip it through a straw.
If we’re being honest, I pour my smoothies into a bowl because it looks pretty! Plus I can add all the good toppings. It’s like food turned into pretty plant based art. I understand there are days when you’re rushing out the door and pouring your green smoothie into a bowl seems utterly ridiculous, it’s meant to be sipped through a straw, right?! I know.. but I guarantee when you have a few extra minutes, you will want to pour this Energizing Green Smoothie into a bowl and make it look all fancy schmancy. Then snap a pic of it super quick for instagram 😉Print
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/2 tablespoon ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1/2 teaspoon maca powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- your favorite toppings
- In a food processor or high speed blender, blend all the ingredients until smooth and creamy, adding more almond milk as needed.
- Pour into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings.
- Serving Size: 1
What do you add to your green smoothies? Sometimes I throw in some spirulina powder if I want a super green smoothie bowl, but everyday is different!
Check out this post to see how I freeze my bananas for smoothies.
Here’s another smoothie bowl that I love.