A big bowl of good-for-you vegan ingredients, with a simple, homemade dressing
For the Salad
- 3–4 cups kale, de-stemmed and chopped (I used lacinto kale)
- juice from 1 large lemon (or 2 small lemons)
- 1/4 English cucumber, about 5 slices, chopped in half
- 10–12 grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/8 red onion, sliced
- small handful olives, chopped in half (I used green)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup chickpeas
- Dollop of hummus (about 2 tablespoons)
- Optional add-ins: hemp hearts, sunflower seeds
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 heaping tablespoon spicy dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- After removing stems from kale, place in a medium-sized bowl and pour lemon juice from 1 lemon over kale. Mix lemon juice around to make sure all leaves are covered and set aside for about 5 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients. Doing this softens the kale.
- For the dressing, whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- After all other veggies are chopped, you can start assembling the salad. In a salad bowl, add kale and top with cucumber, grape tomatoes, red onion, olives, avocado, chickpeas and hummus. Optional add-ins are hemp hearts and/or sunflower seeds!
- Pour dressing over salad and enjoy.
- You can always add more or less of each veggie depending on what you have and to suit your taste! Makes one generous serving.
- Serving Size: 1