Key Lime Coconut Dream Bars. Vegan, Gluten Free, no refined sugars and colored naturally with spirulina & turmeric! The perfect cold, light and tart summer treat or dessert.
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup gooey medjool dates (about 10 dates)
- 1/4 cup filtered water
KEY LIME FILLING
- 1 cup dairy-free So Delicious Key Lime coconut milk yogurt (two containers)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (I used unsweetened coconut milk in a carton)
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- juice and zest of 1 large lime (or 2 small)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons tapioca starch/flour, divided (helps to set; can also use arrowroot or cornstarch)
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon green spirulina (or chlorella) until desired color is reached
- 2–4 dashes of ground turmeric, until desired color is reached
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (unrefined for more coconut flavor; refined for less coconut flavor)
- Line a 9x9in square pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, blend oats, pecans, almonds, coconut and sea salt, until finely ground. Add the dates and pulse until dates are ground up small and well incorporated. Next, add in water and pulse until mixture is sticky and no longer crumbly – it should not crumble apart in your fingers, it should stick together. Press down mixture evenly in pan with your hands. Place in freezer for 10 minutes to set.
- Meanwhile, make the key lime filling. All ingredients were carefully chosen to help the filling to stay set. In a high speed blender, blend up the yogurt, coconut milk, coconut butter, maple syrup, lime zest and juice, vanilla, TWO TEASPOONS tapioca starch and spirulina and turmeric. You’ll have to play around with the spirulina and turmeric until you reach your desired color, but add in the tiniest amounts at a time – you can always add more but you can’t remove it!
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Mixture will look coagulated. Now we will blend in the remaining 2 teaspoons tapioca starch and coconut oil and the filling will no longer look coagulated – just keep blending until it looks smooth!
- Remove crust from freezer and pour filling mixture over the crust. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Refrigerate for about 4 hours to fully set (You can also freeze the bars for more of a frozen type treat and then thaw for 5-10 minutes before slicing into squares and eating).
- Slice into 9 squares, top with So Delicious Coco Whip.
- Keep refrigerated and covered up to 3 days, or freeze remaining squares up to 3 months, and let them thaw 5-10 minutes before eating.