Good morning! Hope you had a fab weekend! Yesterday (Sunday) took a lot out of me so I needed EXTRA energy today! We went to the Gay Pride Parade because my bestie, Alli, has an apartment right on Halsted, that overlooks the parade as they dance by (yes dance and strut their stuff). We had a blast! There was good music, good friends and perfect weather. Well it was humid, sunny and about 90 degrees. So we were dripping with sweat but that’s pretty perfect for Chicago because it didn’t rain!! We were also tipsy all day and did tons of walking. Did I mention I have been trying new HIIT workouts so my sore body was in pain like no other but I managed ha. When Marty and I got home we chugged gallons of ice water I think and went straight to bed.
So in other words, waking up today was rough and when I need a boost of energy, I go straight for Matcha powder. It’s basically a green tea superfood that is packed with antioxidants and can be equal to 10 glasses of green tea. We know antioxidants mean anti-aging and who doesn’t love that?! Also, some cold nice cream sounded pretty awesome this morning. Why not mix the two? If you love green tea, then this nice cream is for you. As I am typing this I also notice a serious increase in mental focus. Score! Today might not be as rough as I thought 😉
You can adjust the matcha powder amount to your liking. I added 1.5 teaspoons so there was a noticeable green tea taste which I didn’t mind. It has a bit of a zing to it! I recommend adding 1/2 teaspoon at a time and taste testing before adding more. I see many more recipes with Matcha coming in the near future. I love the benefits!
Vegan Superfood Packed Ice Cream
- 1 can coconut milk (refrigerated overnight)
- 1/2 tablespoon turbinado sugar (any sugar is fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 frozen, ripe, sliced bananas
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (I used an almond/coconut milk blend)
- 1.5 teaspoons matcha green tea powder
- 2 teaspoons turbinado sugar (coconut sugar fine too)
- pineapple chunks or your favorite fruit (optional)
- In a small bowl, prepare the coconut whipped cream. Remove coconut milk can from refrigerator and remove top. While in the fridge, the milk separated from the water on the bottom. We will only be using the white creamy part on the top. Save the coconut water on the bottom for a smoothie! Scoop out the white part into a medium-sized bowl. Add the sugar and vanilla and whisk until smooth and creamy like whipped cream. (You can also use a hand blender) Can be placed back in refrigerator, covered, until the nice cream is ready.
- In a food processor, add frozen banana slices and milk. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add in matcha powder (adjust to taste, if needed) and sugar and blend until powder is thoroughly mixed in. Scoop into mason jar or bowl.
- Remove coconut whip from refrigerator and layer on top. Layer on pineapple chunks.