Seems only appropriate to share some more no-bake bars with late summer berries. Berries and bars… they’re making an appearance quite often here on the bloggy! The last no-bake bar recipe was those decadently messy Double Chocolate Brownie Bars… which you guys seemed to love, just like me, and after last week’s post about wine popsicles (and my thoughts on alcohol), let’s keep going with the sweet things, shall we?
These No-Bake Blueberry Chia Jam Bars are filled with chia seeds and blueberries AND…. a layer of melted chocolate. Just because.
The obsession with chia seeds continues. By now, most people know that chia seeds provide an abundance of nourishing nutrients including fiber, iron, plant protein, calcium, omega’s and the feeling of “fullness” as they expand and absorb liquid. Buy my favorite chia seeds here. Plus, they help to make perfect homemade jam in like 5 minutes, without the corn syrup and nasties found in store-bought jam/jelly. For a fall-inspired chia jam check out my Cranberry Raisin Chia Seed Jam – perfect on toast, stirred into coconut yogurt or swirled into smoothie bowls.
Fun fact: “chia” is the maya word for “strength”.
Vegan and gluten-free no-bake snacks/desserts just make life easier as their is no cooking involved – just melting, in this case! They’re a good thing to have on hand in the freezer when cravings arise, because they always do, right? With a touch of berry sweetness, a pop of chocolate and the comforting taste of oats – these bars make a nice, light breakfast or quick, sweet snack. I’m always on the lookout for new no-bake bar recipes so these are now at the top of my list.
Bottom Oat Layer
- 1 cup gluten free oats (or oat flour)
- 1 cup soft medjool dates (soak in warm water for 10 minutes if not soft)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup gluten free oats (added at the end; for texture)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (helps bind the mixture together)
Middle Chocolate Layer
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips, melted (I like the Enjoy Life brand)
Top Chia Jam Layer
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or any sticky sweetener)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- If you don’t have oat flour, add 1 cup of gluten-free rolled oats to your food processor and blend until ground into a flour-like consistency. Add in the soft medjool dates, water, vanilla and salt. Blend until well combined. Add in the chia seeds and 1/4 cup oats. Pulse a few times until just combined.
- Line a 9″x5″ loaf pan with parchment paper. Transfer oat layer to loaf pan and press down into an even layer. Set aside.
- Rinse out food processor.
- Combine all ingredients for the chia jam layer in the food processor. Blend until well combined. Let the mixture stand about 10 minutes.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Pour over top the oat layer and spread out evenly with a spoon. This layer is very thin.
- After the chia jam mixture has been sitting for about 10 minutes to thicken up, pour over top the chocolate layer and spread out evenly.
- Freeze for 2-3 hours until firm.
- Let defrost for about 10 minutes after removing it from the freezer and then cut into small squares.
- Leftovers should be kept in the freezer.
- Serving Size: 10
Hope you enjoy these fun and nutritious little bites!