Vibrant, luscious, creamy and healthy pasta dish. Vegan and can be made GF.
- 1 box of your favorite pasta (I used whole wheat penne)
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus, ends removed and chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 4 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 3 garlic cloves
- fresh juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- water as needed (I added about 1/3 cup)
- In one large pot, bring water to a boil and cook the pasta accordingly. In the last 2-3 minutes that the pasta has left to cook, add in the chopped asparagus, zucchini and peas. When finished cooking, turn off the heat, drain the water and add the pasta/veggies back into the large pot.
- To prepare the pesto: In a blender or food processor, add all the ingredients for the pesto and blend until creamy and smooth. Pour mixture over the pasta and mix until well combined.
- Top with some chopped cashews for a little crunch or extra basil.
- The pesto sauce makes about 2 cups. Serves roughly 4-6. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 4