I know you’ve been working hard on your bikini bod. Running, stair master, barre, pilates, hot yoga, zumba, dance floor, table tops?? Just kidding.
After a super sweat sesh, our over-worked muscles need fuel and replenishment. Sweat is your fat crying, after all. Soothe your aches and pains with this dessert-worthy Post-Workout Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie.
AKA: the healthiest peanut butter cup in liquid shake form.
This post-workout treat will:
- not leave you starving 1 hour later, you’ll be full for hours on end (it kept me full for 5 hours)
- trick your mind into thinking its time for dessert
- nourish and feed your defeated muscles
- energize your mind and body
- keep you feeling balanced and healthy
I love smoothies and drink one almost everyday, but on occasion, they leave me ravenous and starved an hour later if I don’t add in certain ingredients (who has time to make 2 breakfasts?) Since it’s made without chalky protein powder and from pure plant sources, this delish smoothie is unprocessed, plant protein at it’s finest. All of the fiber, vitamins and minerals keep you full, balanced and thinking clearly. You will feel GOOD.
Did I mention there’s no added sweeteners?! Zip, zero, zilch. ♥
Think of it like a thick chocolate damn-good shake (you can thin it out with more liquid if that’s your thing). This recipe has ALL of my favorites and is the perfect smoothie, in my opinion. No chalkiness, no bitterness, only goodness.
Why is it so healthy?!
- Chia Seeds: for omega-3’s + fiber + protein + magnesium + iron + zinc + keeping you regular
- Raw Cacao Powder: antioxidants + magnesium + iron + raw chocolate flavor + mood
- Raw Maca Powder: energy + endurance + libido + to balance hormones + tons of minerals
- Ground Flaxseed: for omega-3’s + fiber + protein + lignans
- Saigon Cinnamon: to balance blood sugar levels + add flavor
- Raw Peanut Butter (or any nut butter): for protein + because it tastes so damn good
- Frozen Banana: for creaminess + coldness (click here to see how I freeze my banana’s)
- Spinach: what’s a smoothie without greens?!
- Medjool Dates: nature’s candy; for the best natural sweetness
Peanut butter and chocolate together win over any flavor – always.
Go reward yourself and indulge in this healthy shake 🙂 Drizzle some extra molasses on top like I did, for extra fun. I like this brand.
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 banana, frozen
- 2 soft medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter (I love sunflower butter too)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 heaping teaspoon maca powder
- 1/4 teaspoon saigon cinnamon
- 1 cup almond milk, or any nut milk (or more for your preferred consistency)
- handful of ice
- molasses, to drizzle
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend away, until smooth.
- With a spoon, drizzle molasses on the inside of your glass or mason jar, pour the smoothie in the jar. Drizzle with extra molasses on top and raw cacao nibs for a chocolate crunch!
- Make sure the medjool dates are gooey and super soft, or they will be hard to blend. Soak them in warm water for 10 minutes, if they’re not soft.
- Serving Size: 1
My favorite brands for all the ingredients: