HIII!! It’s been a while.. I’ve seriously missed you guys!
I’m finally all moved and settled into my new apartment – thanks to my parents and brother who helped me move the bigger things in AND went up 4 flights of stairs like a million times 🙂 they’re amazing and I could not have done it without them.
I really love it here so far and am beyond excited for this next chapter. I honestly can’t believe I’m here… and this apartment is actually mine for the next year… so surreal… but so amazing how things fall into place, right?! Taz is loving it as well, aside from the loud city noises (he’s a total scaredy cat) but I know he’ll be a city dog in no time.
Do you guys want to see pictures of my little studio?! I’d be happy to do a post about it!
Anywaysss, I have a super yummy and festive fall oatmeal recipe for you.. Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal. It’s luscious and healthy with ALL the good things. Perfect for a cold morning to warm you up alongside some hot pumpkin coffee (like this one that I’m obsessed with) and a cozy blanket. Sounds dreamy right?! It so is.
Pumpkin season is in full swing, although I have yet to get a PSL (a pumpkin spice latté for anyone living under a rock) and I’m loving all the fall things. Roll your eyes all you want… I know you secretly love it too 😉 so this morning I made my watermelon cayenne detox juice and was literally frozen afterward which gave me the idea to create this comforting oatmeal to warm me up.
It did just the trick.
In the summertime, I do lots of smoothies, juices and fruit for breakfast but once it starts getting chilly, I find myself switching to a warm bowl of oatmeal. Do you do that too? I feel like it’s a common switch. Starting your morning with nourishing oats is amazing for sustained energy and keeping you full until lunch. They’re packed with fiber and are quite possibly the best whole grain around! Low in fat and full of protein (6g per every 1/2 cup) you can’t go wrong with oats.
I buy the bag of gluten free rolled oats from Trader Joe’s (so cheap!) and it lasts me quite a while.
For this bowl of pumpkin goodness you will need:
- gluten free oats
- canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- mashed banana
- chia seeds (optional)
- pumpkin pie spice
- maple syrup
- vegan chocolate chips (optional) but duh, why not?!
Mash the banana and mix in the pumpkin purée.
Mix in all the warming spices.
Stir chia seeds and the creamy pumpkin mixture into the oats.
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup organic pumpkin purée
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or coconut sugar/agave)
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- additional 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- pumpkin seeds (optional)
- In a small pot, stir the oats, water and almond milk together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until creamy.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mash the banana and stir in the pumpkin purée and maple syrup along with the pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and sea salt.
- Turn off heat and stir the pumpkin mixture into the oats with the optional chia seeds. Mix until well combined.
- I like to add extra almond milk at the end as well as it can get dry.
- Serving Size: 1