Higher protein homemade snack or healthier sweet treat?!
Hmm… it’s hard to say! For me, these ‘Quick No-Bake Chocolate Covered Protein Bars’ work both ways.
Basically, I eat them whenever I please because in my eyes, they come without guilt (I make some with chocolate drizzle and some without!). It just so happens that these bars have been created in my kitchen at least 20 times now… they needed proper taste testing before gracing you with their presence here on the blog.
Talk about my best kept secret, to say the least! Weekly meal prep does consist of some kind of protein snack bar like this, or else I end up reaching for store bought vegan protein bars which is fine, but I try to limit those processed bars for desperate hangry times only. Plus, it’s less expensive this way and takes 20 minutes out of my Sunday day, which allows me time to listen to a podcast (my newest obession — the GOOP podcast episode with Oprah… TOO GOOD).
All I know is this:
why you should make these bars:
- not chalky
- super fudgy
- flourless & gluten free
- coated in melted chocolate
- easy peasy
Look at those cute sprinkles though! The sprinkles actually came with the Miss Jones Baking Confetti Pop Frosting… I so wish they sold the cute pastel sprinkles separate, but I love these natural sprinkles too.
Back to the flourless protein bars with the taste and texture of a fudgy brownie… they taste like dessert! Made with almond flour, protein powder (I used this one), cacao powder and runny almond butter (I used the raw Trader Joe’s creamy almond butter!), they couldn’t be easier to whip up. No food processor required, just one big mixing bowl and one smaller sized bowl. Even though I have whizzed them up in the food processor and they turn out just as delicious and perfect, so its totally up to you.
I cut down on the sugar since many snack bars/protein bars have more sugar than necessary, which only furthers our sugar addiction. These are slightly sweet; just sweet enough. Don’t expect them to send you for a ride on the sugar high train because that would not be hormone-friendly, am I right?! Anyway, I’m sure you’ve had enough convincing!Print
Quick No-Bake Chocolate Covered Protein Bars. A vegan, gluten free, high in protein homemade snack that tastes like a chewy fudge brownie! Comes together quickly and couldn’t be easier!
- 3/4 cup plant protein powder (I used 22 Days Nutrition chocolate flavored protein)
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1–2 tablespoons raw cacao powder (depending on flavor preference)
- 1/2 cup runny almond butter (I LOVE the creamy almond butter from Trader Joe’s)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or any liquid sweetener)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients – protein powder, almond flour and cacao powder. Next, add all liquid ingredients to a microwave-safe bowl – almond butter, almond milk, maple syrup and coconut oil (or add to a pot over the stove) and warm until coconut oil is melted, about 1 minute.
- Pour warmed liquid ingredients into dry and mix until it forms a cookie dough-like texture.
- Transfer mixture to a lined 8×6 glass baking dish and pat down to flatten with hands or a spatula.
- Freeze for 10 minutes to set. Then remove and cut into squares.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil to drizzle over top the bars.
- Store in refrigerator.
Keywords: Quick, No Bake, Chocolate, chocolate Covered, Protein, Bars, vegan, gluten free, high protein, homemade, snack, chewy, fudge, brownie