- 1 1/4 cups gluten free flour (can sub for oat flour)
- 1/4 cup vegan protein powder (plain or vanilla flavor; or can sub for more flour)
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup molasses (or brown rice syrup)
- 1/4 cup almond butter (or any nut butter)
- 1/2 cup milk
Two-Ingredient Icing (optional)
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon vegan powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water (or dairy-free milk)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, protein powder, sugar, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, combine molasses and almond butter; mix until combined. Then pour in almond milk and microwave for 30 seconds (or do this on the stovetop in a small pan) until warmed, to easily stir together.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry and mix. Mixture will seem dry but keep mixing; it will come together in a big mound.
- Scoop out 2 tablespoons and form a ball with your hands. Flatten it out a couple times before rolling into a ball to get it nice and sticky. Finish rolling into balls until mixture is gone.
- Next, make the icing. Mix powdered sugar and water together in a small bowl. Carefully transfer/pour icing into a ziplock plastic baggie and cut off a tiny corner. Drizzle over gingerbread balls and refrigerate 5-10 minutes to harden.
- * I haven’t tried any other sticky sweeteners besides molasses and brown rice syrup.
- ** Store in refrigerator, covered, up to a week.
- *** Can also use melted nut butter in place of icing if you aren’t into powdered sugar!