I’ve been patiently waiting for honey crisp apples to go on sale and today was the day! So I picked up a bunch 🙂 along with butternut squash, spaghetti squash and concord grapes that sorta taste like sour jelly.. it’s totally weird at first but they are addicting after a while.
Have you tried concord grapes?! You must.
My favorite snack of all time has always been peanut butter with apple slices, but I’ve grown bored of this typical snack. Not only that but I’ve been trying to cut back on my peanut butter addiction.
It’s gotten out of control.
I’ve also been eyeing all the caramel apples at the grocery stores that I can’t eat… so it was time to come up with my own, new, low-fat snack and vegan version of the seasonal caramel apple.
It’s a total win. These Raw Vegan Caramel Apple Cookies also turned out to be my breakfast and lunch today ha. The life of a blogger! Someone has to eat all this food I create 🙂
For the “caramel” I just blended up a bunch of gooey dates in the food processor with some water which turned into this sweet caramel-y spread. Dates are nature’s perfect sweetener and don’t need anything extra! To jazz it up I topped these apple cookies with coconut, raisins and chocolate chips. I know chocolate chips aren’t raw! You don’t have to add these if you are a raw vegan, but I knew they would add that chocolately touch. This snack made me feel like I was about 5 years old.. but I didn’t mind. It’s definitely a perfect snack or breakfast for kids. And adults.
If you don’t want to get all fancy, you can just dip the apple slices into the “caramel” but the fancy way is more fun 🙂
Other ways to enjoy “date caramel”:
Spread on graham crackers.
Add to smoothies for sweetness.
Dip bananas in it.
Top your nice cream with it.
The options are endless.Print
Apple slices topped with “date caramel” and your favorite toppings! The perfect healthy snack or breakfast options
- 15–20 soft, gooey medjool dates (soak in water for 20 minutes if they are not soft)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 apple
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free chocolate chips, optional (I like the Enjoy Life brand)
- In a food processor, blend the gooey dates until they are finely chopped. Add the water and blend until it turns into a date “paste”.
- Slice your apple into circular slices and slather on the date “paste”.
- Top with raisins, coconut and chocolate chips.
- Omit the chocolate chips if you are a raw vegan. Other topping options: pecans, almonds, walnuts, gogi berries, cinnamon.