I know I’m a soon-to-be first time mama, so I’ve been asking other seasoned mamas for the best Postpartum Recovery Essentials… so far, I feel very prepared with this list!
I will of course update the list after baby is here with what I used and didn’t use but recovery is different for everyone. So many different circumstances, etc. so I hope this list can act as a starting point for you (and me too)!
To break it down I have a list for my bathroom postpartum basket and then clothes and other miscellaneous items (including nursing bras, underwear, the coziest robe, loungewear, nipple cream, etc.)
- Woven basket with compartments
- Adult Diapers: for obvious reasons, right after giving birth, because you bleed a lot! The white ones came in my homebirth box from birthsupplies.com but I ordered more because I wasn’t sure these were enough. So I also have these purple ones that seem comfy. I got a size medium.
- Mesh Underwear: I think you can wear these with pads (or padsicles!) for the first few days after giving birth. They’re disposable and very stretchy. I got a size large.
- Large Pads (the pink pads came in my home birth supply box so not sure what brand they are? I ordered more though of these Overnight Pads that are clean and non-toxic.
- Frida Mom Perineal Foam: cooling pain relief foam; from vag to tush
- Frida Mom Peri Bottle: instead of wiping with toilet paper, you use a peri bottle to rinse and then pat dry
- Dermoplast Spray: pain relief spray! People swear by it. I have a few different ones to try, obviously!
- Earth Mama Perineal Spray: another perineal spray that people swear by and love
- Cool Comfort Medicated Cleansing pads (a cleaner version of the Tucks pads)
Clothes, Nursing Bras, Robe, Loungewear, etc.
- The softest robe you’ll ever own! For maternity and postpartum! I’m living in it lately.
- Nursing bras: These are comfy but to be honest I hate bras that clip in the back… so I also have these that are seamless and no clips.
- Button-down nightgowns: SO many have said button down is great for nursing and these are easy and comfy to wear in the beginning of new mama life. So I have a few of these
- Underwear: These seem super soft and stretchy (in a good way) but still cotton.
- Oversized T-shirts: To go with the shorts because I’m not sure my pre-baby shorts or shirts will fit! I got a few different colors in size large
- Comfy shorts: Again, I doubt my pre-baby shorts will fit so I got a medium in these. They’re stretchy and not too short and I love them! I also have them in black and grey.
- Leopard button down loungewear set: Again, so many have said to get button down sets for easier nursing! So I have a couple of these. I got a size Medium.
- Nipple cream: So many recommended this one.
- Sandal Slippers: Because why not. So cute and cozy!
Okay I think that’s it for now!! Maybe I will do a whole post on snacks next?! I’ve been stocking up in preparation because I hear you get very hungry while breastfeeding (which I plan to do!). Enjoy and let me know if I’m missing anything!