It’s Friday morning and fluffy snowflakes are lightly dusting the ground.
With the lack Christmas shopping I’ve done weighing on my mind (and the 500 tabs open on my browser, crowding my thoughts) I bring you these colorful Roasted Sweet Potato Mash Tostadas, because sweet potatoes are giving me life lately, and so is this healthy recipe.
They’re are all I’ve been eating… and probably all I’ll be eating every day, for the rest of my life.
I’m just a little obsessed?
After going back and forth on whether to save them for my upcoming meal plan or share them here, I decided they were too good to keep in hiding for much longer, and didn’t think you would mind? Simple and basic, in a wonderful kind of way, they pair perfectly with my newly released Spicy Magic Green Sauce, which adds a spicy flare of creamy, lime-y goodness.
If you are bored of the same old recipes (which I KNOW you are, because 90% of you said you tend to stick with the same recipes in the reader survey...) then I urge you to try something new this week! Not all recipes are super fun to make but these my friends, are SO MUCH FUN!
How the idea of mashing a sweet potato, smearing a thin layer on a white corn tortilla only to top with a pinto bean-corn mixture (plus all the fixins) came into mind? I’m not sure… but I went with it, and I’m pretty happy about it.
Minor mishap: My distracted brain forgot to bake the white corn tortillas to brown the edges for these pics. By no means is this step necessary because I gobbled them up (like they were tacos) without thinking twice, but browning the edges adds a nice touch, so keep that in mind when you make these!
Step 1) Mash sweet potato
Step 2) Spread a thin layer of sweet potato on corn tortilla
Step 3) Assemble tostadas with pinto bean-corn mixture and toppings
Step 4) Drizzle with lots & lots of Spicy Magic Green Sauce (plus extra spritzes of lime too)
There’s usually 3-4 sweet potatoes hanging out in my kitchen. I buy them every week, just to have on hand. Something about the vibrant orange color that’s chock full of the best nutrients… I like to think sweet potatoes contribute to a healthy skin tone that leaves us glowing from the inside out, no? For reals. Plus, somehow I have one, maybe two sweet potato recipes here on the blog… how so few?!
Perfect solution: these Roasted Sweet Potato Mash Tostadas. Every time I type out the word “tostada” my brain gets confused and starts typing the word “toast” first… TGIF.
Roasted Sweet Potato Mash Tostadas
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 60
- 1 sweet potato, mashed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- juice from 1/2 lime
- mini corn tortillas (2-3 per person)
- romaine lettuce, shredded
- red cabbage, shredded
- fresh cilantro
- sliced jalapeños
- lime wedges, for spritzing
- *Spicy Magic Green Sauce, optional (see below for link)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake the sweet potato for 45-50 minutes, or until super soft.
- In a bowl, combine pinto beans, corn, chili powder and 1/2 lime. Mix until well combined. Prepare the toppings and Spicy Magic Green Sauce (highly recommended!)
- Optional step: During last 5 minutes of the sweet potato baking in the oven, place corn tortillas on oven rack until edges are browned, careful not to burn! Then remove tortillas and sweet potato from oven. Mash the sweet potato in a bowl and spread a layer on each tortilla. Assemble with pinto bean-corn mixture and other toppings. Drizzle with Spicy Magic Green Sauce and extra lime juice.
- Serving Size: 2
Fun fact: Taz LOVES sweet potato, so I’ve been mixing some into his food. We started this trend last year; it’s kind of our thing. If I eat sweet potato, Taz eats sweet potato too. Maybe your pup will love sweet potato, especially in the cold winter months?!
Pin for later!
I made this last night and the whole family loved it! So yummy. I made it without the sauce but it was still delicious.