Tempeh is one of our favorites because it’s so versatile. I felt like jazzing up it a bit this time and creating a “crispy chicken” vegan alternative using tempeh and sesame seeds. It’s quite a nice combination. These Sesame Crusted Tempeh Sticks can be on the table in 20 minutes. Serve with a salad and you are good to go. The citrus soy and tahini dipping sauce complements these crispy sticks quite well too. They look so unique! I used a mixture of black sesame seeds and white sesame seeds to be super fancy 🙂 not really.. but it is more fun than just one color. These tempeh sticks would make a nice appetizer too for a party or a special occasion, or for any night of the week really. They can be dressed up or dressed down, haha, sort of like an outfit. You can present them on a beautiful bed of greens and cabbage or just by themselves for yourself or your family.
Looking back on the recipe, I wish I would have added a couple tablespoons of breadcrumbs or panko crumbs to give the tempeh sticks extra crispiness so keep that in mind when you try this recipe! I will add it in the notes on the recipe too. They are delicious without the breadcrumbs but I think it would have added more flavor and texture.
Did you know sesame seeds are an amazing source for calcium?! As well as manganese, iron, phosphorus and zinc! Score. Since going vegan, I’ve added more seeds into my diet (Chia, Hemp, Sunflower and Sesame Seeds). I especially love adding sesame seeds over salads and have yet to try adding them to baked goods. Cookie recipe to come?!
- 2 packages of tempeh (cut into about 14 sticks)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonaise
- 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds (or more if needed)
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs or panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (or agave or honey)
- dash of red pepper flakes
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- green onion to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with wax paper or aluminum foil.
- Remove tempeh blocks from packages and slice into 14 pieces (7 per package).
- In a small bowl, combine almond milk, mayo, dijon mustard, tamari, red pepper flakes, pepper, and garlic powder. Whisk until well combined.
- In a separate small bowl, add the sesame seeds and breadcrumbs.
- Dip the tempeh sticks into the liquid mixture and then pour the sesame seeds over the sticks with your fingers to stick to the mixture. (If you dip the sticks into the sesame seeds they get all sticky and clump together so I found that pouring them over helps to avoid a huge mess and waste of sesame seeds!) Continue until all the sticks are covered.
- Transfer to the lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the tempeh is baking, prepare the dipping sauce. In a small bowl, combine all the dipping sauce ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Allow the tempeh to cool for a couple minutes before serving. Serve with the dipping sauce. I like to serve these sticks with a leafy green salad too.