Clean, Healthy, Flavorful Vegan Stir Fry Dish
- 1 container organic extra-firm tofu
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 cup broccoli, florets
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup tamari sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (powdered fine too)
- Couple dashes black pepper
- dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (I used black)
- Preparing the tofu takes 30 minutes.
To prepare tofu
- First, drain out the water from the container.
- Put 2 paper towels or a regular small towel on a plate. Cut the tofu into your desired sized pieces for your recipe. Small cubes in this case. Spread them out on the towel.
- Place 2 more paper towels or a regular towel over the tofu. Get a heavy book and set on top of the towel. Let the towels soak up the excess water from tofu for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to directions. Once cooked, keep pot covered and set aside.
- Start to chop all vegetables while tofu is drying out and rice is cooking.
- After all veggies are chopped, prepare sauce.
To make stir fry sauce/marinade
- In a small bowl, whisk together tamari sauce, lime juice, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes.
- When tofu is ready, transfer from plate to a medium-sized bowl. Pour sauce/marinade over tofu and mix around. Let sit for about 5 minutes or longer if you want.
- Pour 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a wok (or any large pan) and turn on heat to medium-high. When wok is hot, remove tofu from bowl (save sauce/marinade for later) and brown tofu on all sides until golden. This takes about 5 minutes. If it’s not browning, turn up heat. Once tofu is golden brown, remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Pour in 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in the same wok. When hot, add in all vegetables and the leftover sauce. Mix well. This process is quick! We don’t want to overcook the veggies until they are mushy. We want them to still have color and a little crunch. Takes a minute or two only. Add tofu back in with the veggies to warm it up and then turn off heat. Add in sesame seeds and mix.
- Serve veggies and tofu over brown rice.
- Some stir fry recipes call for sugar, I did not add it to this recipe because I thought it was unnecessary but you are welcome to if you want to cut out the acidity. I would add 2 teaspoons of coconut sugar or any sugar of your choice.
- Store any leftovers in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Serving Size: 2