Have you ever experienced the deliciousness of a black bean burger so good, your eyes roll to the back of your head??
If not, I am sorry. Everyone must experience this moment, vegan or not.
These scrumptious Spicy Black Bean Burgers are your ticket. Dare I say they are perfect? YES.
Veggie burgers are basically a staple in the world of vegan food. They can even cure all of your problems, especially after a long day of nothing but green smoothies and quinoa kale salads. They really hit the spot. One bite and these flavor-packed burger bombs transport you to dreamy burger heaven. They fully satisfy that craving for a firm, dense burger that holds its own (and is also easy to make).
You know back in college when you’d wake up hungover and greasy hangover food was the only answer because somehow, it momentarily cured your hangover and self pity party? Maybe you still feel that way… LOL. I consider these Spicy Black Bean Burgers to cure my craving for “bad” food, even though they’re the total opposite of “bad”. They’re truly the healthiest veggie burgers I’ve ever made, but something about the texture and flavor is SO RIGHT that it feels wrong.
Also, I’ve never met a bun I didn’t like… sometimes, you just have to eat the damn bun that goes with the black bean burger.
Just do it, at least once in a while. I did and my eyes rolled to the back of my head… I highly recommend going all out and dressing them up with vegan Chipotle Mayo (life changing), a little green lettuce, a tomato slice, maybe some avocado? PURE GOLD.
I know what you’re thinking… another black bean burger recipe…. how is this recipe any different from the thousands of other black bean burger recipes floating around, also claiming to be THE BEST? Well, for starters, they HOLD TOGETHER. They really do. We’ve all made burgers from Pinterest that are either a dry disappointment and crumble apart or are a sticky mess with nothing to really hold them together… these are the perfect consistency.
I mean, look at them… so round and reliable. Pictured below is before they were cooked. See how they’re not falling apart? That’s what reliable looks like.
Aside from holding their own (literally), these burger patties are thiiiick and firm… because who wants a light and airy burger?? No, just no. These are the real deal. Packed with all kinds of veggies like red bell peppers, carrots, corn and jalapeño. High in fiber to keep you fuller for longer and high in protein to keep you balanced and fueled.
Lastly, these black bean burgers are so damn flavorful and tasty with the perfect blend of spices, which makes them more than worthy enough to share at summer cookouts, 4th of July parties and every party in between.
There’s always that one person who makes fun of meatless burgers, this one’s for them and all the other veggie burger haters out there.
They cook the best after being refrigerated for 30 minutes, prior to cooking. Don’t skip this crucial step!
I like to eat these burgers on a bun or plain over a kale salad with quinoa, a little salsa and mashed avocado for a super quick lunch or dinner that’s protein-packed and super satisfying.
I literally CAN’T WAIT for you guys to make these!!!!!!
- 1/3 cup water (or 1/2 tablespoon olive oil)
- 1/3 red onion, diced small
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced small (optional; use more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cups oats (ground into a flour, any kind of oats works)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (use gluten free if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium-sized carrot
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup corn
- burger buns (optional)
- lettuce, avocado, tomato, ketchup, mustard, kraut, vegan chipotle mayo, etc.
- On the stovetop, heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add the water (or oil if not oil-free) and sauté the onion, jalapeño and garlic until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a food processor, blend up the oats to make a flour. Add in the breadcrumbs, ground flax, nutritional yeast, cumin, sea salt, chili powder, paprika and black pepper. Blend until well combined and transfer this dry mixture to a large bowl.
- Into the food processor, add the red bell pepper, carrot and cilantro. Blend/pulse until finely shredded (don’t overdo it or the veggies will get too watery). Transfer to the large bowl with the dry mixture.
- Into the food processor add the black beans and blend until mashed, with a few black beans still in tact, for texture. Transfer to the large bowl. Add in the corn and the sautéed onion mixture.
- Mix together with your hands. It is the best way! Then form into 5 patties. Lay them flat on a plate and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set. This step is crucial!
- Remove from refrigerator and heat up the same pan on medium heat. Spray with nonstick spray and cook each patty until golden/browned, about 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve on a bun or over a salad with all the toppings!
Please tag me in your pictures, I love seeing your creations. Let me know how you liked this recipe in the comments below. Snap a pic on instagram using the hashtag #theglowingfridge! You can also tag me in your pics on Facebook.