You can’t go wrong with pasta. Especially when you’re not sure what to make, but do want it to be simple and fairly quick. While making homemade sauce is nice and all (maybe on a lazy winter Sunday, while watching Lifetime movies with a glass of wine, DUH) let’s be real – it’s much easier to use a jar (!) which I’m fine with… if I like the ingredients of course. I do love to amp up the pasta sauce and throw in additional veggies or herbs which is what I did today for this Spicy Marinara & Tomato Basil Pasta.
Some sautéed onion in veggie broth, (not unnecessary oil) with garlic, fresh basil and juicy tomatoes from my mom’s garden, plus a bit of balsamic vinegar add somethin’ extra to this already flavorful homemade Mezzetta Spicy Marinara Sauce with a fiery kick. The sauce is pretty spicy and downright delish on it’s own, but with the end of summer right around the corner, think of all those beautiful tomatoes just waiting to be picked out there in the garden… they can’t go to waste! Homegrown tomatoes are extra luscious and sweet – perfect for a healthy, lycopene-rich pasta night at home. To make this gluten-free, use your favorite gluten-free pasta like brown rice pasta, quinoa pasta etc.
You could blend the sauce with a super handy hand blender (like this one) for a smooth texture, or leave it as is like I did, for a savory dish bursting with tomatoes and all the sautéed goodness.
Look at those tomatoes though.. gorgeous.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 16 ounces of your favorite pasta
- 1/3 cup low-sodium vegetable broth (or water)
- 1/2 of a yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 jar of Mezzetta Spicy Marinara sauce
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and follow the instructions for cooking your pasta.
- In a separate pan, heat the vegetable broth and sauté the onion and garlic for about 3 minutes. Stir in the fresh basil, tomatoes and balsamic, then cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the jar of pasta sauce and bring sauce to a light simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Serve the sauce over the pasta.
- Serving Size: 5
The homemade Mezzetta products were new to me but I’m actually so happy to have tried them because the ingredients are seriously amazing with no nasties or weird chemicals. I’ll definitely be buying these again. You can feel good about them which is always nice when you’re at the store trying to decide on a pasta sauce amongst all the brands.
Take a look for yourself at the ingredients!
- Tomato & Sweet Basil
- Spicy Marinara
- Roasted Garlic & Caramelized Onions
- Parmesan, Asiago & Romano
- Wild Mushroom
Some fun facts about Mezzetta!
- Real Food. 100% hand-selected plum tomatoes. No added sugar. No paste. No shortcuts.
- Real Farmers. Committed to farming the highest quality ingredients, without compromise.
- Real Family. Family owned and operated for over 80 years.
- Real Recipe. Made in the Italian tradition from our Napa Valley kitchen.
- Real Good. Pull up a plate and taste the difference.
The GRAND PRIZE winner will receive 6 Napa Valley Homemade Pasta Sauces, Dried Pasta, an Apron, a Grocery Tote, a Chef’s Hat, a Cheese Grater, Recipe Cards and a $500 GROCERY GIFT CARD! Runner ups win 6 Napa Valley Homemade Pasta Sauces and Recipe Cards. CLICK HERE to get yourself in the drawing — I would LOVE to see one of MY readers win!!