Kicking off the weekend with a cozy and comforting ‘Swift Sweet Potato Coconut Curry‘, that’s sure to warm up any cold January night. Consider this a special surprise as the recipe’s from my friend Ashley’s new plant-powered cookbook, Blissful Basil! I must say, her cookbook is absolutely gorgeous, and filled with the most vibrant vegan recipes. Ashley never fails to impress with her photography and recipe skills!
I’ve been following Blissful Basil for years, shortly after I started blogging. We’ve kept in touch as she also lives in Chicago, but the coolest part is I’ve read her stories, made her recipes and watched her blog grow and transform, and now can celebrate her success on my blog with her cookbook in real form! As women, we need to support each other successes and encourage one another to keep moving forward with our dreams and ambitions. #Girlpower
Ashley started blogging on a whim over 6 years ago and kept at it because she found so much happiness in sharing her creations and real-life stories. I can relate to Ashley on many levels and look up to her in many ways. In the cookbook, she shares past struggles with anxiety, how self-care along with regular exercise played a major part in helping to master her thoughts, her journey from vegetarian to a plant-based vegan lifestyle and how small choices/habits ultimately add up to a strong foundation for a full life filled with happiness and feeling “whole”.
Plant based foods fueled her body to not only function at an optimal level, but to thrive.
I can 100% relate to that, and I know many of you can as well!
Flipping through the beautiful pages and choosing one recipe to share (out of 100+!) was no easy task, but I went with an oil-free, winter-friendly main dish, using seasonal ingredients that I knew would be appreciated – and the Swift Sweet Potato Coconut Curry happened! Ready in a swift 30 minutes (for reals), this dish will have you simmering sweet potatoes in a wonderfully spiced coconut milk broth that forms the thickest and creamiest coconut curry. Infused with scallions, fresh cilantro and gooey raisins, then served over brown rice (or quinoa!) alongside lime wedges and pita, if desired.
Reprinted from Blissful Basil by arrangement with BenBella Books. Copyright © 2016, Ashley Melillo.
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional!)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup filtered water, divided
- 1 can (14-ounces) full-fat coconut milk (I swapped for light)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup raisins, optional
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, stemmed and chopped
- 4 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa, for serving (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for spritzing (optional)
- Toast the curry powder, sea salt, coriander, ginger and turmeric in a medium-sized stockpot over medium heat for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add the yellow onion and 1/3 cup of the water, and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent, stirring frequently.
- Whisk in the coconut milk and remaining 2/3 cup water, and bring to a boil.
- Add sweet potatoes, decrease heat to medium-low, cover, and rapidly simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the scallions, raisins (if using), and cilantro, and continue to simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, or until sweet potatoes begin to break down into the sauce, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Spoon the curry into bowls and serve over warm brown rice with spritzes of lime, alongside pita, if desired.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator, up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 4
Ashley was kind enough to offer one lucky reader the chance to win a copy of her Blissful Basil cookbook!
TO ENTER: Leave a comment below on how you #honoryourbliss. How do you care for your mind, body and soul? What choices do you make that bring you happiness; emotionally, physically and spiritually? I?ll pick a winner next Friday (1/20/17). Good luck!
*Please note that the giveaway is only open to residents of the U.S. and Canada*
Feel free to tag your social media posts with #blissfulbasilcookbook #honoryourbliss and @blissfulbasil!