Hi lovelies! A few of my friends have been asking more about the vegan lifestyle and what it entails which makes me so so happy! I love hearing their thoughts and sharing some of my experiences with them. Yesterday, one of my besties even said she would try out the vegan diet! So she stopped by to chat about it and I wrote out a few lists of my favorite vegan staples, recipes and where to buy them! That night, she also tried this recipe, my Tempeh Crunch Wrap. She loved it and was surprised at how easy it was to prepare tempeh. She had never heard of it before. Neither did I until I went vegan! Tempeh is a mixture of fermented soybeans, millet, barley and sometimes rice. Fermented soybeans? Sounds gross, I know. But it’s really not, you have to try it! You will be surprised, tempeh is a staple in my house now!
I love it over a salad, in a wrap like this recipe, or even on it’s own. You can think of tempeh as a crispy chicken replacement. Sort of like a blank slate, meaning it can be marinated in anything and will take the flavor of the marinade. And it doesn’t have to be marinated long at all, 5-10 minutes, thats it. It also doesn’t take long to cook either. I love tempeh because it’s simple and delicious. Customize this wrap to your liking with any veggies, toppings or condiments of your choice. If you make one of these delicious wraps, tweet your pic at me or tag @theglowingfridge on your instagram! I would love to see your beautiful creations!
Remove tempeh from package.
Cut it up into slices.
Pour your marinade over the tempeh in a bowl.
Let sit for 5-10 minutes, cook it and assemble your wrap!
- 1 8oz. block of Tempeh (I bought it from Trader Joe's)
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce (I used gluten-free)
- 1/3 tsp. Sriracha (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/3 tsp. ground ginger (or minced fresh if you prefer)
- Dash of red chili flakes (optional)
- Couple dashes of black pepper
- 1/2 lime squeezed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Cucumber slices (2 per wrap)
- Red Pepper slices (2 per wrap)
- Red Onion slices (2 per wrap)
- Baby Spinach (handful per wrap)
- 4 tortillas (I used the Ezekial Sprouted Grain Tortillas)
- Veganaise (or a condiment of your choice)
- Cut the tempeh block into logs and place in medium-sized bowl.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, add soy sauce, sriracha, garlic powder, turmeric, ground ginger, red chili flakes, black pepper, and lime juice
- Mix sauce with whisk or fork thoroughly and pour over tempeh logs until fully coated. I used my hands to get mixture on all sides of logs.
- Heat a pan on medium-high heat with olive oil until hot. Pour in tempeh logs with the remaining sauce in the bowl.
- Sauté each side of tempeh log for 2-3 minutes until all sides are browned. While the tempeh is cooking, cut up veggies
- Heat tortilla in microwave or oven until warm
- Add tempeh, spinach, cucumber, red pepper, and red onion to tortilla
- Add veganaise (vegan mayo) or any additional toppings and condiments of your choice