A delicious, easy vegan taco recipe made with tempeh, fresh veggies and spices. Along with a homemade sour cream that has a nice creamy consistency.
- 1 package organic tempeh
- 3 tablespoons tamari (or low-sodium soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons water
- fresh juice from 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- couple dashes black pepper
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 bell pepper, any color, diced
- 1/2 of a red onion, finely diced
- 1/4–1/2 of a jalapeño, finely diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, stems removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- large romaine lettuce leaves or tortillas
- optional toppings such as: avocado, guacamole, vegan cheese, salsa, hot sauce etc.
Vegan Sour Cream
- 1 container silken tofu (or 1 cup soaked cashews)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- fresh juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- sea salt to taste (optional)
To make Tacos
- Start by chopping/crumbling the tempeh into small pieces, similar to a ground meat consistency and place in large bowl. Add tamari, water, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, minced garlic, sea salt and pepper. Mix until well combined and all the tempeh is coated evenly. Add in tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, jalapeño and cilantro and mix.
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat and add coconut oil. When coconut oil is melted, add tempeh mixture. Cover and let cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Start assembling tacos using tortillas or large romaine lettuce leaves. Add tempeh taco meat mixture, then your favorite toppings and enjoy!
To make Sour Cream
- Add tofu, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and salt to a food processor or high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Store in refrigerator in mason jar or sealed container.