October has arrived. EEEK! I love it but at the same time, I am wondering where the heck September went?
The past couple mornings have been so cozy, curled up under all our blankets, with dogs on either side of me, snuggled as close as they can get and it was the first time I thought, jeez… its cold in here… I really don’t want to get up! Snuggling sounds way better than stepping onto the cold, wooden floor. Those are the signs that the chilly air has arrived.
I’m sure we will get our fair share of warm days mixed in with snow (not kidding) here in Chicago, nothing surprises us anymore but it leaves me with that empty feeling. Summer has left and won’t be back for so long. We have long, dark, freezing nights ahead which makes me want to put on comfy socks, comfy sweat pants, my favorite ZTA sweatshirt with a hood and cuddle on the couch under a blanket. And not move until next June. Not kidding!! Yes we have all the fun holidays coming up, but my bones will ache all winter for some warm, sunny rays on my tan skin. And flip flops. Or better yet, being barefoot in the luscious summer grass or hot sand. Ugh.
There is a certain sadness that comes with the transition of a new season but I am here to lift some spirits and we will get through this long fall/winter together!
With food!! With creating a delicious mess in the kitchen. Food is healing. Halloween is coming up and I have some fun recipes in store for that as well as many fall-ish recipes like The Autumn Glow Bowl I’m sharing today. I love everything about this warming power bowl. This recipe is super clean and will nourish from the inside out so we can hold onto that special summer glow for a bit longer. It’s a Glow Bowl filled with all of my favorite things! Kale, quinoa, chickpeas, butternut squash, tomatoes, cucumbers and even sprinkles of pomegranate seeds. It’s like a fall-colored rainbow in a bowl, and it tastes like it too.
A cleansing, filling, warming and comforting vegan glow bowl filled with super clean ingredients
- 1 cup quinoa, any color (I used red)
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 cup kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup cucumber slices
- 1 tomato, chopped
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- drizzle of apple cider/red wine vinegar
- sprinkle of pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment/wax paper.
- Start cooking quinoa according to directions.
- Cut off the skin from the butternut squash and chop into bite-sized chunks. Transfer to a small bowl with melted coconut oil and sea salt. Mix until all the squash is covered in oil. Transfer the squash to the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until soft.
- Meanwhile, chop the kale, cucumber and tomato and transfer all to a small bowl with the fresh lemon juice, olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Mix and set aside.
To Assemble Bowl
- Start with the quinoa and chickpeas, then add the kale, cucumber, and tomato mixture. Finish with the butternut squash and a drizzle of vinegar.
- You may have left over quinoa and possibly butternut squash but save for a later meal!
- Serving Size: 2
What are your favorite things about Fall?! Leave me a comment below!