You won’t believe this recipe is low-fat AND oil-free. Nope.
You also won’t believe that bright and creamy cheese sauce you see is practically all made out of vegetables. Yes.
It’s beyond healthy and exceeds the clean eating craze… It’s The Ultimate Vegan Mac and Cheese. YUM.
I’ve been patiently enjoying the tasting and testing part of vegan mac and cheese recipes for like… the past year? This beloved recipe is THE ONE because there’s no cashews or coconut milk or anything typically found in “healthier” dairy-free mac and cheese. This one really is a low-fat winner, my friends. And it’s all yours!! I thought about adding cashews just to see how it would taste.. but decided not to and am more than pleased with how it turned out. Both my mom and dad loved this!
The best part about the beginning of Fall weather (even though it’s 80 degrees still here in the Chi..) is being able to make those comforting and warming foods again, right? I always think of Mac and Cheese for that. It’s the ultimate comfort food and is often seen as a decadent, rich and fattening meal. This one is all of those things without the fattening part. It’s also a great way to sneak in extra veggies!!
So what’s this magical cheese sauce made out of, you ask?
First, start by boiling your peeled sweet potato, baby carrots, peeled zucchini peeled and chopped onion until soft. Save the remaining water!
Boil the water for the pasta. Then boil your favorite pasta.
In a blender, blend all ingredients with the saved water for a luxuriously healthy and creamy cheese sauce.
Pour that melty, cheesy goodness over your favorite cooked pasta.
Transfer to bowls and sprinkle with paprika.Print
- 2 cups water
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 8 baby carrots (or 2 medium-sized carrots, chopped)
- 1 zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 of a sweet onion, chopped
- 12 oz. of pasta
- boiled vegetables
- remaining water from the pot (about 1.5 cups)
- 1/2–3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- pepper, to taste
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a small pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add in the sweet potato and boil for about 5 minutes. Add in the carrots, zucchini and onion. Boil for another 5-8 minutes, or until everything is soft and can be pierced with a fork. Remove from heat.
- In a separate pot, start boiling the water for the pasta. Cook 12 oz. of your favorite pasta, according to directions. Drain and transfer pasta back to pot.
- Start making the cheese sauce. Spoon out the boiled vegetables and transfer them to a blender. Add in the remaining boiled water from that pot. Be careful, it’s very hot! Add in rest of the ingredients for the cheese sauce. Blend it up and be sure to let heat out or else it can explode. I usually remove the small center piece from the blender top and just hold it over the top to prevent splatters while also letting out the heat. Taste test and add in extra salt or pepper, if desired.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta. Mix until well combined.
- Refrigerates well for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 4