Vegan White Bean Cheesy Chili. Healthy, plant based, spicy and warming vegan chili for a cold day, topped with vegan cheese!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium-sized turnips, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups worth; can sub potatoes, cauliflower or rutabaga)
- 1 large zucchini, cubed
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can organic sweet corn
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch + 2 tablespoons hot water (can sub arrowroot starch or cornstarch, to thicken)
- 1 15 ounce can cannelini beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 15 ounce can great northern white beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 cup Daiya Cutting Board Collection Shreds in Pepperjack or Cheddar Style (or more, to taste)
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes or until fragrant and soft. Add in the jalapeño, garlic and a good pinch of sea salt and pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the turnips and zucchini and cook 4-7 minutes, to soften slightly. Next add in the tomatoes, corn, green chiles and vegetable broth. Bring to a low boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the turnips are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the tapioca starch with water until it’s smooth with no clumps. Pour it into the pot and mix. It will gradually help to thicken the chili.
- Now, add in the remaining beans, spices and cheese, simmer for 3-4 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Top with extra Daiya cheese, crushed tortillas cheese, avocado or salsa!
- Serve and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 5