Veggie Herb Vegan Stuffing. Perfectly flavored and savory for Thanksgiving! Made with protein-packed lentils, carrots, celery, mushrooms and raisins for a wholesome plant based stuffing!
- flax egg (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup cooked green lentils, or 1/2 cup dry green lentils (or ground tempeh/veggie sausage)
- 3–4 tablespoons avocado oil (or any oil; or swap for vegan butter)
- 1 large white onion, diced
- hefty pinch of sea salt and pepper
- 4–5 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium-sized carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cremini mushrooms, chopped (or any kind)
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram (or oregano)
- 4 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 cups stuffing cubes, any kind
- 3/4 cup raisins (or dried cranberries/cherries)
- 2 1/2 –3 cups vegetable broth
- sprinkle with extra parsley after baking, for color
- In a small bowl, mix together the flax egg and set aside for 15 minutes.
- If you haven’t yet cooked the lentils, start cooking them by combining 1/2 cup dry lentils with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a gentle simmer for 20-30 minutes, uncovered, or until tender. Add water as needed to make sure lentils are covered. After, drain any extra liquid and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat avocado oil (or vegan butter) over medium heat and sauté onions for about 5 minutes, until translucent and fragrant. Add a hefty pinch of salt and pepper. Then add celery, carrots and mushrooms and cover, stirring occasionally. Cook for 7 minutes, then add the rosemary, thyme and marjoram. Stir to coat and cook 2-3 more minutes until veggies are on the softer side. Reduce heat and add in the parsley and spinach. Stir until spinach is wilted. Turn off heat.
- In a large bowl, add the stuffing cubes, cooked veggies, cooked lentils, raisins, flax egg and vegetable broth and mix with a large wooden spoon until everything is evenly hydrated. You don’t wait it to be too dry or too wet, so add more broth if too dry or more bread if too wet.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil and increase heat to 400 degrees. Bake for 10 more minutes, until the top is browned and golden.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes and serve.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated and reheated in the microwave.
Keywords: vegan stuffing, vegan herb stuffing, Veggie stuffing, Herb stuffing, Vegan, Stuffing, vegan Thanksgiving stuffing, Dairy Free, Easy