Sometimes a cute new bowl is all I need to feel inspired.
You know when you get something new and you must use it immediately?! That’s how I was with this adorable heart bowl.
Thanks to Ksenia from Breakfast Criminals, smoothie bowls of all sorts have become a movement. Ksenia’s message about “giving yourself a hug on the inside” by starting out each day with a nourishing superfood bowl is changing the way we do breakfast! Being fearless and creative, having fun and loving your body can all start with the first meal of the day. Ksenia was kind enough to send me this customized heart shaped bowl so visit her blog if you want your own!
This will probably be my last holiday type post before Christmas this week so I wanted to share a festive Very Merry Holiday Smoothie Bowl. Smoothies bowls can be much more fun than smoothies in a cup 🙂 you can get artsy and decorate it (for instagram duh!) or you can just throw your favorite toppings on, grab a spoon, mix it up and enjoy. I love how I can add in a whole bunch of super foods and make a nourishing bowl every morning for energy, focus and just feeling good. Even though it’s packed with spinach, spirulina and maca powder, the medjool dates and bananas add creaminess + sweetness, so there’s no need for added sweeteners. Just plant based goodness to heal your body from within 🙂
I recently purchased Organic Burst Spirulina Powder to add in extra nourishing greens to my smoothies. I’m still loving my E3Live and I don’t think I will ever go a day without it, but I wanted to add more superfood greens (because why not?!) and the benefits of spirulina are powerful. Plus I know the product is of high quality and without added unnecessary ingredients like nitrates and fertilizers that many spirulina powders on the market contain. Organic Burst is organically grown underground in mineral-rich waters with lots of sunshine. Each harvested batch is put through rigorous testing to make sure it’s pure and not contaminated.
Benefits of Spirulina:
- Abundant in plant protein (60-70%) and the protein in spirulina is 4 times more absorbable than protein in beef
- Contains 18 amino acids and all 9 essential amino acids (histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine)
- Supports a healthy cognitive and immune system with beta-carotene, vitamin B6, iron and chlorophyll – aka brain power!
- Assists in weight management by keep you satiated and full
This smoothie bowl will leave you feel amazing and the spirulina will help to keep you feeling full until lunch. The maca powder will energize, balance hormones, combat fatigue, increase libido and is packed with plant sterols, vitamins, adaptogens, amino acids and essential fatty acids. When starting out your day with a nutrient dense smoothie, you are likely to make healthier choices throughout the day which is helpful with all of the holiday treats floating around!
*As I mention in the recipe, I waited until after I snapped the pictures to add in the (optional) mixed berries. For photo purposes only! I highly recommend adding in the frozen berries but they will turn your smoothie into a dark purple/gray funky color! Oh the things we do for that perfect picture 🙂Print
- 2 ripe bananas (1 frozen and 1 raw)
- 1 large handful of spinach
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries (optional; will change the color)
- 2 soft medjool dates, pits removed
- 1/2–1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 cup almond milk (or coconut water or any nut milk)
- optional toppings: granola, shredded unsweetened coconut, gogi berries, hemp hearts, cinnamon, banana slices, cacao nibs, raspberries, blueberries, etc.
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- For photo purposes, I waited until after I snapped the pictures to add frozen mixed berries. This will turn the smoothie into a funky dark purple like color but I highly recommend adding in mixed berries for vitamin C, fiber and antioxidants!
- Serving Size: 1
I hope you all have the happiest of holidays and I’m so thankful for all of my readers! A big virtual hug to all of you!