Spicy Walnut Chickpea Taco Meat. A meatless alternative for a yummy vegan taco night! Made with spicy seasoning
- 3 cups raw broccoli florets (about 1 large head)
- 1–2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced small
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons OLD BAY seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt & black pepper
- fresh juice of 1/2 lime (optional)
- corn tortillas (or whatever tortillas you like!)
- optional toppings: avocado, tomato, cilantro, dairy-free shredded cheese, etc.
CORN & CABBAGE SLAW
- 2 cups cooked sweet corn
- 1 1/2 cups purple cabbage, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1/2 fresh lime (save other half for spritzing on tacos!)
- In a food processor, blend/pulse the broccoli florets until crumbled with no major chunks. Set aside.
- Start by heating up the coconut oil in a pan on the stove (medium-high heat) and begin sautéing the onion and jalapeño until translucent, about 4 minutes, then turn down heat to medium and stir in garlic, being careful not to burn. Cook for 2 more minutes, then add in the broccoli and turn heat down to medium low, stirring occasionally, just to soften and lightly sauté the broccoli.
- To the food processor, add in chickpeas and cilantro. Blend/pulse until crumbly with a few chunks for texture – we are not turning this into hummus! Add the chickpea mixture into the pan on the stove to start warming it up.
- Lastly, add the walnuts and remaining spices (except lime) into the food processor and blend/pulse until it’s ground up and well combined. Then stir mixture into the pan on the stove and turn the heat up to medium, cooking for about 5-7 minutes. Meanwhile, make the Corn & Cabbage Slaw if desired! Then turn off heat and stir in the fresh lime.
- Serve in corn tortillas with the Corn & Cabbage Slaw, and any toppings you want!
- The taco “meat” blend can be stored in the refrigerator, sealed, up to 4-5 days!
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Spicy, Walnut, Chickpea, Taco, Meat, meatless, alternative, vegan, taco night, cabbage slaw