Lean, clean and green.
Just the way we like it!
These fresh and dazzling rolls were made for all my mermaid babes, because life is way more fun when?Mermaid Babe Summer Rolls?are on the menu!
We must have a little fun with our food from time to time and not take life or what we are going to eat next so seriously. Not rush through everything just to get it done or eat boring, flavorless meals just to stay on track.
This is what I’m all about lately. Lightening the mood and laughing more. Not just going through the motions but enjoying the little things and livening up the mundane things. Trying to be a little more positive, even though it can be hard at times. Life can get boring and stale if we let it.
When was the last time you laughed so hard your belly hurt?
Or you genuinely smiled without having to force it? A smile can go a long way. It might even turn someone else’s day around… you never know! I laughed pretty hard on Sunday when Terry and I were down at the beach with Taz who was in his glory, let me tell you! Taz LOVES the beach – he was smiling the entire time, no joke! I could feel his happiness and there’s no better feeling. Out of nowhere, Taz starts sprinting around, ferociously digging holes, spraying Terry and I with sand and going bizzerk. Something about the sun, sand and digging that makes him go wild! Minutes later, he plops down next to me on our beach towel, cute little head on my leg, lets out a deep breath and takes a snooze. Taz makes me laugh every single day. Oh and sometimes Terry makes me laugh too, ha.
On to these life-giving Mermaid Babe Rolls!
With all of the green things (because we are mermaids after all!), they’re super light yet scrumptiously filling. A perfect bikini-ready recipe that won’t make you feel heavy but will balance and nourish your bod from head to toe.
- Cucumber: not only do cucumbers contain silica to nourish your hair and nails, they’re super hydrating while acting as a natural diuretic
- Spinach: an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich leafy green that’s high in vitamins and minerals like calcium, zinc, iron and magnesium
- Alfalfa Sprouts: rich in activated enzymes, vitamin K, vitamin C and folate
- Tempeh: fermented soybeans that are easily digested, high in beneficial probiotics and high in plant protein (my favorite plant protein around) with rich levels of vitamins B5, B6, B3 and B2
- Bell peppers: they add a nice crunch while being high in vitamin C, vitamin A and numerous antioxidants
Try to use all organic veggies to avoid pesticides and chemicals since we are not peeling the skin off of any veggies. Also, feel free to replace any of the above veggies with whatever you have on hand – lightly steamed asparagus, shredded carrots, zucchini noodles, jicama, shredded cabbage, mango, avocado, bean sprouts, edamame, etc. I was going for the green “mermaid” look which is why everything is green (except the tempeh). Also if you’re feeling super green, you can replace the spinach with kale. You could also replace the tempeh with tofu or any type of bean – totally your preference!
MERMAID BABE TIP:
These rolls do transport/store well – just be sure to wrap them in a wet paper towel first, then in an airtight storage container to keep the rice paper from hardening up. Works like a charm!
And, we can’t forget about the gorgeous Mermaid Miso Dipping Sauce, which is arguably the most fun part to make because of the dreamy pastel mint-like color! There’s something serene about this color that speaks to my mermaid soul. With a little bit of spirulina powder, a lot of hemp seeds, a chunk of fresh ginger, a little miso and various spices , this sauce comes together for a flavorful burst of green goodness. A perfect compliment to fresh and crunchy rolls. What’s a roll without dipping sauce anyway?! I whizzed up this sauce in my Nutribullet but feel free to use a food processor or regular blender.
Have fun with these my Mermaid Babes! The recipe makes 8-10 rolls, depending on how many veggies you use per roll. Don’t forget about my tip for storing leftovers above!!Print
Mermaid Babe Summer Rolls
- Prep Time: 45
- Total Time: 45
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Healthy
Mermaid Babe Summer/Spring Rolls. Vegan and gluten free. Light and fresh but also filling! Packed with leafy greens, crunchy veggies and protein-rich tempeh for a nourishing, bikini-friendly meal. Alongside a mint-colored Mermaid Miso Dipping Sauce!
- 8 rice paper rolls
- 6 cups of spinach
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced into strips
- 1 heaping cup of alfalfa sprouts (or bean sprouts)
- 1 jalapeño, sliced thin (optional)
- 1 package of tempeh, sliced into 8 strips (I used it raw but feel free to marinate it in tamari/soy sauce)
Mermaid Miso Dipping Sauce
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1-inch chunk of peeled fresh ginger (or 1 tablespoon powdered ginger)
- 1 teaspoon raw spirulina powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (or more, to preference; or use jalapeño!)
- 1 tablespoon white miso (or use tahini)
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- juice of 1 lime (or 2 tablespoons vinegar – either coconut vinegar or rice vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- First, I like to prepare the Mermaid Miso Dipping Sauce to let the flavors marinate in the fridge while we assemble the rolls. Add all sauce ingredients to a Nutribullet, food processor or small blender and blend until creamy and smooth. Use less water for a thicker sauce. Transfer to a small dipping bowl. Then cover and refrigerate until the rolls are prepared.
- Start by chopping the veggies and tempeh, and arrange them on a plate/cutting board for easy roll assembly.
- Soak 1 rice paper in a wide pan/bowl filled with cold water. Allow rice paper to soften for about 30 seconds, then lay flat on a non-stick cutting board. Then start soaking another rice paper so it’s ready for the next roll.
- Arrange veggies near the top center of rice paper, closest to you – in no specific order, but I usually start with the spinach, tempeh, cucumber, bell pepper and sprouts.
- Lift up the center paper closest to you and roll forward, tucking inward and gently folding in each side as you go, like a burrito. Continue rolling to the end, then lay seam down. You can double roll in another soaked sheet of rice paper if it’s ripping or leave as is and continue on with the next. I like to place the finished rolls on a wet paper towel on a plate to prevent sticking.
- Continue this process until all the veggies have been used up! Cut in half or leave whole.
- Dip your Mermaid Babe Rolls in the dipping sauce.
- MERMAID BABE TIP: These rolls do transport/store well – just be sure to wrap them in a wet paper towel first, then in an airtight storage container to keep the rice paper from hardening up. Works like a charm!
- Serving Size: 2-3
Keywords: Fresh, light, Mermaid, Babe, Summer Rolls, tempeh, spirulina, Miso, Dipping Sauce, spring rolls, green rolls, healthy spring rolls
I so agree. We all need to lighten up, stay positive, and laugh more.
These rolls look so great for summer! They’d be a perfect lunch at the beach.