Crispy. Spicy. Crunchy. Lime-y. Savory. Creamy.
Finally, a legit taco recipe that you should probably make this weekend – my Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Spicy Avocado Lime Crema!
I shared those tempeh taco boats a while back, which are delish but they’re in lettuce cups… so we don’t consider them real tacos, right? Sure I love those kind of eats in the summer because of their freshness and lightness… but what are tacos without tortillas?
Sometimes, you just need the real deal.
The versatility of cauliflower is amazing and undeniably perfect for healthy vegan (oil-free!!) tacos. Since going vegan, I’ve tried a few different varieties for taco filling – all veggies, mushrooms, beans etc. and while they’re all yummy – I wanted to create something unique and fun aside from my usual.
Roasting bite-size cauliflower florets in a blend of taco spices, coated in almond milk makes them crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.They become crunchy and roasted to golden perfection. Add white beans for extra plant protein, some tasty toppings, drizzle LOTS of ‘spicy avocado lime crema’ then bite and savor and repeat. YUM.
I hope you guys love these little beauties as much as I do. The tangy and ‘spicy avocado lime crema’ pulls all the flavors together and adds that essential creaminess and extra lime-y-ness. You MUST make it for these tacos! I even added some hidden spinach to the recipe – you will not taste it one bit. Shh!
For the tortillas, I chose mini corn tortillas I picked up at Trader Joes. This recipe will fill about 6 mini tortillas but feel free to use any kind you like. These would pair well with my Fiesta Lime and Black Bean Rice.
- 1 head cauliflower, florets
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons plain almond milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup white beans
- 1 cup purple cabbage, thinly slices
- fresh cilantro, for topping
- fresh lime juice, for topping
- jalapeño slices, for topping (optional)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 slices of jalapeño (optional)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, sea salt, pepper and cayenne until smooth. Add in the cauliflower florets and mix until all are well coated in the mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and soft.
- In a food processor, blend all of the ingredients for the Spicy Avocado Lime Crema until smooth and creamy. Texture will be thick, similar to mayo.
- Assemble the tacos. I started with the cabbage, cauliflower, white beans, more cabbage, cilantro, jalapeño and then the lime crema. A good squeeze of fresh lime juices adds a nice touch as well!
- Makes 6 mini tortillas.
- Leftovers stay good up to 2 days in refrigerator.