Hey! How was your weekend?! I planned on getting lots of work done with my plant based starter guide but catching up on sleep seemed to take over… Sometimes a weekend of sleeping in and relaxing are much needed. And as much as I hate feeling behind on so many things, I know I really need my sleep to feel recharged and ready for the week. It’s a constant battle, right?!
I did manage to get some cooking and baking done though like Quinoa Tahini Burgers, Vegetable Soup, Raw Vegan Brownies and these vegan Apple Carrot Muffins! Recipes for the others coming soon 🙂
I bought these colorful organic carrots at Trader Joe’s and knew I wanted to make healthy breakfast muffins with them. Aren’t they amazing?! I can’t resist colorful carrots like these, especially if they’re organic. Carrots and apples add lots of sweetness and moisture to muffins – making them a perfect pair for a fall-inspired breakfast option! I love pairing them with a green smoothie and coffee. Talk about the perfect breakfast. This recipe has added flaxseeds for omega-3’s and has just enough sweetness while still being healthy. I also used oat flour, making them gluten-free! I love how you can see little specks of carrot and apple. So yummy!
When I’m cooking/baking, I love to listen to music/youtube videos or anything that motivates me. While in the kitchen this weekend, I listened to those wellness seminars I mentioned in Friday’s post. They always inspire me and teach me a thing or two. I still have a few speakers to listen to but my favorite has been listening to Dr. John McDougall. He was so amped up and gave everything he got – almost getting frustrated at times.. he can be pretty harsh but he taught me to look at the plant based lifestyle in a different way because he is all about eating starch. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice and pasta while including vegetables as a side dish… I do include starch in my diet but vegetables are usually the star of each meal. If you are interested in listening to some plant based experts, you can listen in here! It’s pretty interesting!!
- 1 cup oat flour (or any flour of choice)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots (about 3–4 large carrots)
- 1 medium apple, chopped small
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients and mix well. Pour wet ingredients over dry and mix until well combined.
- Spoon mixture into muffin liners (makes 12) and bake for 18-22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Serving Size: 12