Creating these Double Chocolate Oil Free Cookies was bound to happen. Did I mention they are nut free too?!
This weekend was super taxing on my body. I was up late Friday night and up super early Saturday morning preparing for a full day of activities in the city. My cousin flew into Chicago and we had a fun day planned of wedding dress shopping with my mom and her two best friends for her upcoming wedding. It was such a special day and I’m so happy to have been there with her!
**Plus, if you are shopping for wedding dresses, you absolutely need to check out bhldn (pronounced “beholden”) on Walton in Chicago. Their dresses are feminine, whimsical, stunning and nothing like I’ve ever seen. blhdn is Anthropologie’s wedding dress store – so you know their dresses are amazing.
I wore brand new booties which was my own fault so my feet felt like they were going to fall off by 5pm because we walked all day. At least they were super cute though! I had worked out really hard on Friday as well so I was painfully sore/exhausted and by the time I got to my best friend’s holiday party that night, I’m pretty sure I was delirious… I so badly wanted to go home and sleep but I had to be there for her and put a smile on my face. By the time I got home on Saturday night I was literally dead and couldn’t move.
I’ve learned that I really need the weekends to relax and recuperate from the week. I’m not one who enjoys having a ton of plans and jam-packed weekends full of activities. I kinda like to catch up on sleep and do my own thing depending on how I feel. That’s pretty lame and grandma-ish, I know… The holidays always take a lot out of me! Are you the same?!
On Sunday I was able to work a bit on a new project I’m starting and had to clean the house so we didn’t start the week with a messy house (which drives me crazy). We all have lots to do this time of year; having time to myself is the only thing that keeps me sane. So when I’m stressed out, I either clean or go to the kitchen and make a mess. I cook/bake/get inspired and let my mind wander. I haven’t shared any cookie recipes yet here on TGF! I shared this Healthy Nut-Free Cookie Dough Dip but it was time I share an actual cookie recipe for the holidays. These Double Chocolate Oil-free Cookies are just what the doctor ordered.
They are firm on the outside, soft on the inside and filled with chocolatey goodness which always makes me feel better. I’ve been challenging myself to come up with oil-free and nut-free recipes. I’m going oil-free in January with my friend Lindsay from The Planted Palate (formerly Lindsay Living Vegan) so I’m preparing for that! More on that to come 🙂 I’m not sure how long living oil-free will last but I want to challenge myself and see how I feel while living oil-free for a month. Want to join us? Leave me a comment below!Print
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons warm water
- 3/4 cup oat flour (ground oats)
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flax and water and set aside for 10 minutes to thicken.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients – oat flour (blend oats in food processor to make oat flour), cacao powder, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients – sunflower seed butter, maple syrup, vanilla and the flax “egg” that has been thickening. Mix well and pour wet mixture over dry mixture. Mix until well combined with a spoon (the dough will be super sticky).
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Roll the cookie dough into 12 balls and then lightly flatten in your palm. Place them on a lined baking sheet. I added extra chocolate chips on the top of the cookies for looks.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Serving Size: 12
This week I will be sharing a fun “me time” post so be sure to check back for that! Happy Monday 🙂