Welcome to another post for my new Glowing Skin Series! With colder months on the way, I thought it would be fun to do a little beauty series to keep our skin glowing and hydrated through the upcoming winter. Over the next few weeks, I’ll be sharing my favorite DIY face masks, scrubs, winter skin tips and more! See my Natural Vegan Skincare Routine for a daily look into what I use.
This super green mask is something a mermaid would wear. #mermaidgoals
Soothing, hydrating and ultra calming, your skin will feel pampered and beautiful. Made with spirulina powder, aloe vera gel and manuka honey, this will deeply nourish and make you feel like a mermaid. Spirulina powder is great for nourishing internally so we glow from the inside out, but it’s also nice topically, for a at-home facials. Buy my favorite brand of spirulina here.
This superfood green Spirulina powder is:
- a fantastic source of antioxidants
- helps your skin retain moisture
- smooths and exfoliates
- helps to eliminate bad bacteria that can cause acne
- contains chlorophyll which is super cleansing
Aloe vera is especially perfect for DIY Face Masks. I have a small aloe vera plant in my apartment and whenever I need some for a mask or smoothie (aloe is amazing for digestion as well) I just cut off a small piece, slice it open and scoop out the sticky gel, then add it to my mask.
Aloe vera helps to:
- treat sunburn
- heal skin conditions (acne, eczema)
- moisturize; no greasy feel
- fight aging
Aloe vera gel improves firmness with all the antioxidants (vitamin C, beta carotene) it offers and will keep skin hydrated too.
Manuka honey originates from New Zealand, where the bees feast on flowers of the Tea Tree Plant.
This potent manuka honey especially great for:
- Healing acne and scarring
- Fighting skin infections
- Cleaning pores while naturally exfoliating
- Helping skin to retain moisture
- Rejuvenating radiance and softness
Not to mention its:
- high in antioxidants!
The consistency is much thicker than regular honey with a cloudy appearance. My skin is totally moisturized and balanced after soaking up some healing manuka honey. It?s magical stuff. I?m no honey expert, since I bought it from Trader Joe?s, but I know there are higher quality manuka honey products out there with higher UMF (potency) scores like this one from Manuca Doctor.
- 1/2 tablespoon manuka honey
- 1/2 tablespoon aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth.
- Apply to a clean face. Leave on for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water.