Let’s talk about zoodles.
I picked up a spiralizer at Bed Bath & Beyond the other day because I’ve been thinking about zoodles so much – (thanks to Pinterest) and I love love love it! The spiralizer was about $25. While it’s not the highest quality, it gets the job done. I’m not about to splurge on a spiralizer.. ha. It’s one of those kitchen gadgets that you probably won’t use everyday (I suppose you could though) but is nice to have on hand in case you feel like getting creative and making fun, low-carb spiral noodles. You could also spiralize potatoes to make your own curly fries, cabbage for cole slaw, and thin apple slices to dehydrate, the list goes on. It comes with 3 different blades, is easy to clean and doesn’t take up too much space. Who knew?!
I found out about zoodles from FullyRawKristina on YouTube a while back. I thought I should keep the “fully raw” theme going and make this entire recipe completely raw – because why not? Your body will love you for it and your kitchen will stay cool during these hot summer days – no cooking required. You don’t need a spiralizer to make this yummy bowl, it just makes some fun noodle shapes. You could always use a julienne peeler, chop it up yourself or use a food processor.
Alongside zoodles, we have carrot noodles, red bell pepper slices, red cabbage strips, celery, corn, sesame seeds, cilantro and a sweetly spicy dressing that has the perfect flavor with just the right amount of spice! You could always make it less spicy by using less jalape?o or omit altogether if you’re not into the spicy thing. I love how healthy and light this meal is, but it’s also filling – perfect for summer.
Don’t be afraid to make a huge bowl, it’s the best way to get in a large amount of nourishing veggies.
I find new favorites everyday and this Raw Spicy Zoodle Bowl is definitely one of them; it just works. Especially in the summer. This bowl is beautifully presented with vibrant colors so you could even impress at a party or get your fam excited for veggie goodness.
Fully Raw, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free
- 1 large zucchini, spiralized or peeled
- 2 large carrots, spiralized or peeled
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin (any color is good)
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped into small strips
- 1 cup fresh corn (optional)
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped small
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2–3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peel removed
- 1/4– 1/2 inch chunk of jalapeño, depending on your spiciness liking)
- 1/2 of an avocado
- fresh juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup of water, depending on how thick/thin you prefer your dressing)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (or your favorite sweetener)
- 1/2 tablespoon raw, unrefined, organic coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- pepper, to taste
- Optional add-ins: cashews, peanuts, edamame, green onions, hemp hearts
- Spiralize or peel zucchini and carrots.
- Add to a large bowl along with the red pepper, purple cabbage, corn, celery, cilantro and sesame seeds. Mix well.
For the Dressing
- In a blender, combine all of the dressing ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour dressing over salad, mix well and serve!
- Makes 2 large servings. If you don’t like spicy, you can use less jalapeño or omit altogether. If you think you will have leftovers, you can always keep the dressing separate and add as needed so the veggies don’t become soggy in the refrigerator. Will keep in the refrigerator up to 2 days.
- Serving Size: 2
Happy weekend loves!